Install on Shared Hosting?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
gbeyer

Install on Shared Hosting?

Post by gbeyer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello, I found a post from 2010 in which someone asked if ZM could be installed in a shared hosting environment. One reply said yes, the other no, but it could be done on a VPS.
I'd like to refresh the topic, since the question was asked nine years ago, and things may have changed with ZM since then. Who is right - yes it can, or no - only with a VPS (my hosting provider offers this, so could upgrade to VPS). I found out we're currently on a CentOS6 server.

I plan to use ZM to monitor a quick-service restaurant, with 5 cameras at two store locations. Two of the cams are PTZ. I currently record using the camera vendors "cloud" service, however they are unreliable, support is off-shore, and none-too-sharp, so need to find a better solution.

I record on a motion detection basis, but the store being busy, there is nearly always motion detected during store hours. At night, almost no motion is recorded.

Please let me know if you need more info the answer the question.

One last question - can ZM control my PTZ cams (Amcrest) within it's interface?

Thanks very much for your help.

Maximo1970

Re: Install on Shared Hosting?

Post by Maximo1970 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Although I'm sure you can install ZM onto a shared hosting server, why would you want to do that? Not only do you risk someone else being able to access your data, you have little control over the performance of the server. In addition I think you'll find the installation process is quite a complicated affair, so best to be avoided.

Personally I would recommend going down the VPS route, it's likely to work out better in the long run.

rockedge

Re: Install on Shared Hosting?

Post by rockedge » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:01 pm

the most reliable way to do it would probably be set up a computer with ZM installed and running in each store. The cameras are connected to their local machine through the router. Using a Dynamic DNS service (like dyn.com) assign a domain name to each location's router. Then thru a machine at your remote site running ZM you could either configure monitors using the store's zoneminder streams.

Or using the Dynamic DNS service assign to each store's router a domain name like http://some.alias.for-router.org:someport/camera-url
where each camera has a port assigned so you can distinguish between each camera's stream URL easily. Then with a central zoneminder installation from a remote office collect each camera stream.

There are other methods and the multi-zmserver is definitely an option for you
https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/st ... erver.html