Central and Remote location setup

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
MattM

Central and Remote location setup

Post by MattM »

Hello,

I am new to ZoneMinder and am looking for some direction.

I have a remote location with ZoneMinder installed on a Raspberry Pi capturing motion triggered events. I setup a central ZoneMinder server at another location and would like to be able to have the remote location store the motion triggered events locally and also send them to the master server. I would also like to log in to the central ZoneMinder server and be able to list all the camera's along with being able to view live video. How can I go about setting this up? Is there some documentation on this configuration? If I can provide a proof of concept on this I will be installing this configuration at other remote locations, possibly 65 locations, with a Raspberry Pi and ZoneMinder. Then monitor all these remote locations on the central ZoneMinder server, possibly moving it to AWS.

Thanks!
bbunge

Re: Central and Remote location setup

Post by bbunge »

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... _on_Ubuntu
May not be exactly what you want but could be a start.
Maximo1970

Re: Central and Remote location setup

Post by Maximo1970 »

Out of the box I think your going to struggle to get this to work as you describe. Your main issue is going to be the bandwidth required for both live streaming and storing of events. Your central server will need a great deal of processing power to provide you with a good quality solution, I've found that streaming 9 cameras in lo-res takes a decent server in a Multi-server solution. You'll also need to create and maintain a full VPN between all of your locations, streaming and transfer CCTV images across the Internet isn't recommended. You wouldn't want someone hijacking your streams and watching what's going on.

The link provided in the above reply is a good starting point for building out a Multi Server solution, however you will need to experiment with how many locations you can link together. Centralising data shouldn't be to much of a challenge, but live streaming from that many locations is likely to be.