Image degradation

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
mtabbut

Image degradation

Post by mtabbut »

I am running amcrest 1080P dome cameras and I am having trouble with image quality degradation. When I view the feed coming from my camera in VLC viewer the image is good. However, something is happening in zoneminder that causes degradation of the image (see attachment). Any thoughts on how to fix this?
sample.jpg
sample.jpg (134.51 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
Camera Settings:
H.264H, 1080P, 15FPS, VBR, Quality 6, I-frame rate 30, 6144 bit rate

ZM Settings:
ffmpeg,
source path: rtsp://username:password@IPaddress/live
method: UDP
Colorspace: 32bit
Width/height: 1920/1080
Reference Image Blend %ge: 6.25
Max FPS: 20
mikb

Re: Image degradation

Post by mikb »

See other posts regarding "FFMPEG Smearing" tips and also try switching from UDP to TCP, as UDP (by design) will drop packets now and then. TCP is designed to not allow that sort of thing. It looks like you have data corruption part way down the frame leading to the rest being blurry.

Also, try turning down the resolution and frame rate (as a test at least, if not permanently) from 1920x1080/15FPS to something lower, less stress on the network and ZM. A lot of people try to run at full HD and higher, at amazing frame rates, before they walk at 640x480 5FPS or something a little less ambitious :)

Also 2: With an I frame interval of 30, and 15 FPS, any corruption is likely to affect up to 2 seconds of video, making it more noticeable.
kitkat

Re: Image degradation

Post by kitkat »

mtabbut wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:39 am Quality 6
I don't know what the range available is on that camera, but most of the cameras and video software I've come across use lower numbers for better quality - On my current cheapo-Chinese things the scale runs from 1 through 6, with 6 being lowest quality.

Maybe trying a lower number is worth a shot?