zmEventRate changing to 1 and no event streaming

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
MJN

zmEventRate changing to 1 and no event streaming

Post by MJN » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Not sure how best to describe this as I am unclear what is causing what or how I am triggering it...

Playing around with my ZM installation (v1.32.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 from Connor's PPA, and Chrome 71.0.3578.98 as the browser) I started seeing errors along the following log entries when trying to view stored events:

Code: Select all

Jan 17 22:48:41 rugrat web_php[32560]: ERR [Timed out waiting for msg /tmp/zm/zms-595707s.sock]
Jan 17 22:48:41 rugrat web_php[32560]: ERR [No data to read from socket]
Jan 17 22:48:41 rugrat web_php[32560]: ERR [getCmdResponse stream error: No data to read from socket - checkStreamForErrors()]
And only the first frame of each video was being shown.

This only occurred for those cameras with stored JPEGs; those with H264 Camera Passthrough available/enabled were fine as was live streaming of all of them.

I happened to notice my playback rate was set to 0.01x and I couldn't change this with the on-screen arrows. Similarly, the zmEventRate cookie value was set to 1. I tried clearing the cookies (not sure why - was willing to give anything a go) and sure enough I was back working again! Playback rate was set to a default of 1x (and could be set with the arrows to +/-2x, 5x, 10x - never fractions though) and the zmEventrate was set to 100 (for 1x), 200 (for 2x) etc.

Any ideas what the problem was here? It's happened several times today and whilst I have been making various tweaks here and there I can't put my finger on what is triggering the problem. It's been working fine for weeks. Could this be a bug, or is it something I am doing 'wrong' to cause this behaviour?

MJN

Re: zmEventRate changing to 1 and no event streaming

Post by MJN » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Aha! I've found how to reproduce the problem now:

1. View an event on a camera with H264 Camera Passthrough enabled
2. Let the event run to the end or manually change the playback rate, press pause then play - either way the playback rate resets to 1x and, crucially, the zmEventRate cookied value also gets set to 1 (should be 100)
3. Attempt to view an event on a camera without H264 Camera Passthrough enabled at which point the zmEventRate of 1 in the cookie results in the playback rate being set to 0.01x thus causing the failure and associated errors to occur

I have a feeling that this is a bug introduced by this change and subsequently fixed with this one so I will await the next release and reset my cookies as workaround in the meantime.