HW acceleration with FFMPEG 4

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
cavem

HW acceleration with FFMPEG 4

Post by cavem »

Hi,

I'm running ZM 1.32.3 in my house on a pretty small server (Intel Celeron G3900) which is just sufficient but sometimes the load is too high.
I thought about using the HW acceleration for h264 decoding but I'm not so sure how to enable this feature for FFMPEG.

I'm only linux advanced beginner (means I have some linux installed on server base for webservices but I'm far away from being a daily user).
I found some ideas of how to compile FFMPEG with HW acceleration enabled but I skipped implementation because I found it to risky.

Now I found that there is a new FFMPEG 4 version which I could download and include into my Ubuntu 16.04. with PPA
https://tecadmin.net/install-ffmpeg-on-linux/

Has anybody tried this or think it may work to enable HW acceleration with ZM?

Best Regards
Uwe
cavem

Re: HW acceleration with FFMPEG 4

Post by cavem »

thank you snake for your quick reply.

So I understand that just changing the version of ffmpeg may not be good enough, correct?
When looking into the thread about RPi3 it rather complicated to enable HW acceleration.

I thought it was maybe just a matter of the ffmpeg revision.

I still wonder that He acceleration is not enabled by default for Intel in FFMPEG and the libs.
It's seems not an exotic technology but a standard for Intel CPUs.
But maybe my view on Linux is too simple.

Unfortunately I have not enough time and patience to follow the hard way of self compiling all the libs.
So I most likely have to wait until a more easy solution is available for ZM on Intel server.

Maybe I will give h264 pass-through a chance to reduce load.

Thanks anyway.
Happy new year!

Uwe