Trouble getting cameras set up on new server

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
bloke

Trouble getting cameras set up on new server

Post by bloke »

All,

I have been running Zoneminder on ubuntu 16.04 for a year or so. I recently spun up a new server with ubuntu 18.04 and am getting zoneminder set up. First I simply installed the normal iconnnor/zoneminder ppa and migrated my old db over to the new server then upgraded zoneminder to 1.32. None of the cameras worked on the new server (all registerd red and the logs were also red). I then selected "none" function and disabled all but one camera to try to isolate the issue. I even went ahead and uninstalled zoneminder (purge, deleted webserver folders, etc.) and re-installed zoneminder using the more recent doc here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way

I have also verified that my /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf has the value:

ZM_PATH_ZMS=/zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms

and my /etc/apache2/conf-available/zoneminder.conf has:

ScriptAlias /zm/cgi-bin "/usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin"
<Directory "/usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin">
Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
AllowOverride All
Require all granted
</Directory>

If I look at the zoneminder logs one bolded error is "No RTSP sources". Other errors I see are:
'zmc -m 8' exited abnormally, exit status 255
Unexpected response code 415, text is 'Unsupported Media Type'
Shared data not initialised by capture daemon for monitor [a monitor name]

What could I be missing? I have been beating my head against the wall for a few days with no success. I am happy to provide any more info that might be helpful. Any pointers would be really appreciated. Thanks!
bloke

Re: Trouble getting cameras set up on new server

Post by bloke »

I think this must have something to do with how ubuntu installs LAMP as part of the nextcloud snap. To isolate things, I started on a fresh drive/computer. Here's what I did:
Installed ubuntu 18.04
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
sudo snap install nextcloud
then I followed this: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way (basically just install zonemider)
then, in the zm console, add a camera with RTSP settings that work on another machine
reboot, whatever, the camera still shows as red on this new server and no images can be seen. Logs still say "No RTSP source", etc.

I know, I know, using a nextcloud snap as my LAMP server...

Still though, any ideas? CGI really doesn't want to work. Am I missing an apache2 or php config that is non standard in the nextcloud snap?

Maybe it is time to just step up and roll my own containers for everything...
davotnz

Post by davotnz »

HI. I have this same problem on 18.04

Did you resolve this?

Any help appreciated.
davotnz

Post by davotnz »

Actually I just resolved it. Nothing wrong with the install. I changed the source from "remote" to ffmpeg and it was all fine with rstp.