Keep stills for new events, then delete?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
Alec

Keep stills for new events, then delete?

Post by Alec »

I suspect that I might be missing something simple:

I use ZM as an alarm to notify me when there might be a problem in an area, and as a digital recorder (so that if something happens, I can go back and look at the video for something I might not have known I was interested in until after the fact).

I would like to save passthrough video and analysis images for events just as ZM currently allows, but I would like to save frames for "new events", so that I don't have to wait for the passthrough video file to be written so that I can view recent frames up to live events.

Somewhat related to this is the problem of lost frames at the beginning and end of passthrough video files. This isn't a huge problem, but I don't understand why those frames have to be lost.

Is there a way to get to this result (other than setting up duplicate monitors from the same feed, which makes other review continuity problems . . .)?

Thanks!

Also, thanks to those who developed v. 1.32.x !!
DFU
bbunge

Re: Keep stills for new events, then delete?

Post by bbunge »

1.32.x still has the ability to save stills. And I believe you can save stills and video at the same time. Am setting up my test machine to try it out...
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Yes you can both. What doesn't exist is a nice way to just delete the stills without deleting the rest.

I may add that to filters in 1.33.

You might just use a cron job and find to delete .jpg's older than a certain # of days.

Something like

find /var/cache/zoneminder/events -type f -mtime +30 -name "capture-*.jpg" -delete -print
Alec

Post by Alec »

Thanks Isaac!
DFU
Southtowntn

Post by Southtowntn »

iconnor wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 pm Yes you can both. What doesn't exist is a nice way to just delete the stills without deleting the rest.

That would be a great addition. I'm working on tuning my zones and enabled analysis images, with pass through video. After I'm done I want to delete all of the images and just keep the video to save space. Having a built in way to do that would be really helpful.
Something like

find /var/cache/zoneminder/events -type f -mtime +30 -name "capture-*.jpg" -delete -print
I thought about doing something similar, but I wasn't sure if it would cause any of errors or issues with loading events due missing data that it expects to be there. So for the time being I just deleted the whole events that had images.
JimNoble

Post by JimNoble »

iconnor wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 pm Yes you can both. What doesn't exist is a nice way to just delete the stills without deleting the rest.

Did this ever happen?

It would be hugely useful to be able to store frames for new events while the passthrough video is being recorded so that you can check on an alert without having to wait until the event has finished recording.

James