Can zoneminder do this ?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
DaveG

Can zoneminder do this ?

Post by DaveG »

I have 7 networked webcamera's which are from 3 different manufacturers but are all ONVIF compliant.

I am happy to use the camera's own inbuilt motion recording facility as they all let footage to be sent to either a network share or ftp server.

At this point there is nothing for zoneminder to do.

I would prefer to have only one port forward rule setup on my firewall to enable access to zoneminder,

I would like to use a single IOS / Android client such as zmNinja to connect to zoneminder, i.e. not one client app for each model of camera.

Now the key question.

Can zoneminder be setup so that it's effectively just a pass through proxy allowing zmNinja to get data from the chosen camera. I don't need zoneMinder to do any motion detection or recording, just grab data from the selected camera and pass onto the connected client.

If this were possible I am hoping to be able to lower the spec of the machine running zoneMinder to the absolute minimum.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Dave
rockedge

Re: Can zoneminder do this ?

Post by rockedge »

yes you can do this I think. I have some installs of ZM that do nothing but let zmNinja stream from it...and I do it on some machines that are 12+ years old.
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

DaveG wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 pm I have 7 networked webcamera's which are from 3 different manufacturers but are all ONVIF compliant.

I am happy to use the camera's own inbuilt motion recording facility as they all let footage to be sent to either a network share or ftp server.

At this point there is nothing for zoneminder to do.

I would prefer to have only one port forward rule setup on my firewall to enable access to zoneminder,

I would like to use a single IOS / Android client such as zmNinja to connect to zoneminder, i.e. not one client app for each model of camera.

Now the key question.

Can zoneminder be setup so that it's effectively just a pass through proxy allowing zmNinja to get data from the chosen camera. I don't need zoneMinder to do any motion detection or recording, just grab data from the selected camera and pass onto the connected client.

If this were possible I am hoping to be able to lower the spec of the machine running zoneMinder to the absolute minimum.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Dave
Yes
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Yes again.
But I would recommend Zoneminder 1.30.4 to start.