No log entries?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
Tantamount

No log entries?

Post by Tantamount »

Ever since upgrading to 1.320.20180206gitga177d8e9.el7.centos, I've had an occasional problem where I'll find that zoneminder has "stopped."

A quick "start" and everything is back to normal again. Today, I had some time to investigate, but found that when I click the "log" link, a "System Log" window appears, but with no log entries. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?

I checked the sql Logs table, and I see plenty of entries.
3 ReoLink RLC-410
2 Annke NC800
Kubernetes 1.22.6 statefulset of 5 Ubuntu 20.04 pods using iconnor's repository
ZoneMinder Version 1.36.12
knight-of-ni

Re: No log entries?

Post by knight-of-ni »

If certain non US standard ascii characters are present in a log entry, that can make the log screen go empty. The JSON decoder blows up under these circumstances. In time, as the entry with the suspect ascii character ages, the most recent log entries will show again. We have attempted to fix this, but it's certainly possible we didn't fix it for every case.

In any case, you should still be able to look at the good old fashioned log files under /var/log, provided that is turned on under the logging options. They are on by default. The non standard character, if there is one, will show up in these files and so will all the other log entries which will hopefully shed some light on why zoneminder stopped in the first place.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/