Hardware Recommendations

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
inis

Hardware Recommendations

Post by inis »

Hello, I've been running zoneminder for several years now but have finally run out of cpu. I currently run 3 low frame/resolution cameras, 1 monoprice ip 1080 camera, and 1 axis camera. I have 6 additional ip camera's and a higher qaulity axis camera to install. Looking for hardware suggestions. I run modect only.

Form factor will be a 2u rack mount, looking to get the lowest possible wattage usage ...as I run a 4u storage and several 2u's already.
Ideally 30-65w would be ideal.
knight-of-ni

Re: Hardware Recommendations

Post by knight-of-ni »

I don't know of a 30-65w machine that comes in 2u form factor. I'm sure you can get something like that in 1u, but a small, low wattage machine might not solve the cpu resource issue you currently face.

So I don't know what to tell you.

off-lease 2u supermicro servers go for peanuts on ebay. These things are by far the most bang for your buck, but that is just more of what you already have.

You could look at off-lease 1u servers, but getting one with strong enough cpus will likely come with high-pitched fan noise. High airflow is a requirement in a typical 1u chassis. Thus the fans tend to be higher rpm and higher noise than their 2u counterparts. Not a problem if you can tuck this away in a basement or closet, but if this is going to be near people then this might not be a good choice.

An odroid xu4 or HC1 or HC2 would be small and low powered, but it is not rack mount. These have 8 core asymmetric cpus and 2GB ram. We would have to know more precisely what the resolution and frame rate is for all of your cameras to know if this would work for your application. See my test results for this here: http://zoneminder.blogspot.com/p/zonemi ... d-xu4.html
There is a table at the bottom with some general benchmarks.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/