ffmpeg settings for smaller file Size

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
emuhack

ffmpeg settings for smaller file Size

Post by emuhack »

I have been reading alot up on ffmpeg and its crazy on what it can do. Most of it over my head. I have been using this as a resource = https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#filter_005foption

Was wondering if anybody here had a better script to have my files be smaller. I average 1gb per 10min - so one day is getting around 150gb. Its a 1080 camera but dont need the video to be full res. im ok with 720. Any way to have them be smaller in size with different options or switches. Below is my script that i found online and tweaked alittle.

Code: Select all

-r 17 -q:v 1 -f avi -vtag XVID -g 30 -bf 2 -vf "hqdn3d,lutyuv=y=gammaval(1.4),unsharp" /home/%username%/Desktop/SavedVideos/`date +"%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%N"`.avi
i would love them to be h264 and mkv files.... but we will see what you guys have.

I'm not against in trying new things...

---------------------

Zoneminder Ver: 1.30.4
Specs: 4 CORE VM / 4gb RAM / 256GB OS Drive
bbunge

Re: ffmpeg settings for smaller file Size

Post by bbunge »

emuhack wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:03 am I have been reading alot up on ffmpeg and its crazy on what it can do. Most of it over my head. I have been using this as a resource = https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#filter_005foption

Was wondering if anybody here had a better script to have my files be smaller. I average 1gb per 10min - so one day is getting around 150gb. Its a 1080 camera but dont need the video to be full res. im ok with 720. Any way to have them be smaller in size with different options or switches. Below is my script that i found online and tweaked alittle.

Code: Select all

-r 17 -q:v 1 -f avi -vtag XVID -g 30 -bf 2 -vf "hqdn3d,lutyuv=y=gammaval(1.4),unsharp" /home/%username%/Desktop/SavedVideos/`date +"%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%N"`.avi
i would love them to be h264 and mkv files.... but we will see what you guys have.

I'm not against in trying new things...

---------------------

Zoneminder Ver: 1.30.4
Specs: 4 CORE VM / 4gb RAM / 256GB OS Drive
Set the camera resolution lower in Zoneminder. Usually dividing the HxW settings in half work.