Zoneminder flickering screen problems with remote connection

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
James Pannell

Zoneminder flickering screen problems with remote connection

Post by James Pannell »

Hello all, I am doing a project using a Raspberry Pi 3 and a NoIR camera, and have managed to set up Zoneminder with a local connection. However, when trying to use a remote source type the image does appear but is constantly flickering between the image and a blue or red background, say every second this happens. Does anybody have any ideas about how to resolve this? Thanks. :D
bbunge

Re: Zoneminder flickering screen problems with remote connection

Post by bbunge »

You did not say which Linux Distro and which version of Zoneminder. But it is interesting to learn of the NoIR camera!

The Pi does not have a lot of resources. Make sure you have space in tmpfs (/dev/shm), move PATH_SWAP to /dev/shm if there is space, lower the resolution and if the camera is considered a "Local" camera lower the frame rate to 5 FPS.

If you are using Zoneminder 1.31.X drop back to 1.30.4 for a reliable system.

Please keep us apprised of your results as this looks interesting!
James Pannell

Post by James Pannell »

Thank you for your reply, I am using Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and Zoneminder version 1.30.4, and the camera will be local for the prototype and general purpose use but there will need to be the facility for remote access because one potential application is for small business owners to keep an eye on who is entering and leaving the premises if they are away. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. Also, there is an infrared lamp which should allow for night vision, there are cameras with this attached but it probably isn't powerful enough. Thanks.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Looks like Mate has a GUI desktop which may be eating up resources. Recommend going to a basic command line system and installing only LAMP and SSH server.