ONVIF and other perl modules are installed into $HOME?!

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
CaffeineFlo

ONVIF and other perl modules are installed into $HOME?!

Post by CaffeineFlo »

HI,

I've tried to solve this myself for the past 3 days but been unable to as I simply don't have enough experience with cmake and perl modules.

When I run CMAKE on my Arch Linux installation and consecutively make, the perl modules that ZoneMinder includes (ONVIF and others) are installed into the compiling users home directory. This doesn't seem right to me, especially since I want to run ZM under a different user than the one compiling the source.

Please point me towards what I'll have to change to put the perl modules into the right place!

Thanks
knight-of-ni

Re: ONVIF and other perl modules are installed into $HOME?!

Post by knight-of-ni »

This is one of many potential pitfalls when building directly from-source.

You most likely have a perl module called locallib (actual package name may vary) installed on your system.
Remove it. It is redirecting Perl modules to your home folder.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
CaffeineFlo

Post by CaffeineFlo »

Well... I'm building from aur, but the packages requires you to have apache and doesn't work half of the time like with this example ... so I can already build it myself
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Yeah, you certainly will run into problems if you go off on your own.

Let me put it to you this way.... if you have seen a number of people all go down the same path without success and you knew how to avoid the problem, would you tell that person how to avoid it or would you let person fail in the same manner all the others did?

You've given us very little to go on regarding what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds like you might want to rebuild zoneminder w/o a dependency on apache. Perhaps you want to use nginx. A better way to achieve that would be to modify the dependency list in the packaging scripts.

Looks like this might be it:
https://github.com/aur-archive/zonemind ... r/PKGBUILD

Change apache to whatever web server you want, or no server at all, and then follow the normal arch instructions for rebuilding the package.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
CaffeineFlo

Post by CaffeineFlo »

Hey knnniggett,

I totally understand what you're saying and I'm normally totally in favor of using pre-built packages or PKGBUILDs, but in this case I feel like it's lost cause in terms of making aur change the package.

Why?
My only goal with this thread is the intent to install the included perl packages to a more appropriate location than the users home, simply cause I like to keep my system cleaned up and second I have a user that builds packages that's different to the user I intended to run zoneminder.

At the end of the day all I did really was to git clone the aur package and modify the PKGBUILD that what I needed it to be (removing apache as dependency and fixing the install path for the included perl packages).

The second part of that equation, fixing the install path I didn't accomplish yet. locallib or it's Arch equivalent isn't installed, yet, my I end up with having onvif in my home directory.

Thanks for your help! I'll report back once I made it