Shadows set off motion

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
BobLaske

Shadows set off motion

Post by BobLaske »

I have a driveway that need modect function but no matter what I do, shadows from tree branches moving in the wind keep setting off the video recording. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question (smile) but I thought I'd ask anyhow in case others have experienced this.

First, when setting the zone in the GUI (1.29 BTW), the zone settings such as Choose Preset and others do not save, ever.
However, I am able to save the X Y location of movement.

I've made the area as small as I can but any smaller and it won't detect what is needed. Is there something that experienced users might do in dealing with this kind of situation or do I have to move the camera or add some other sensors.

BTW, the CAUSE is often Signal so can I also assume ZoneMinder thinks the signal goes away. I know for sure it doesn't since I'm monitoring the camera live on another monitor.

Thanks very much.
kitkat

Re: Shadows set off motion

Post by kitkat »

I found that making a fairly large Preclusive zone and detecting changes (but not blobs) that affect a significant percentage of that zone stopped most shadow- and cloud- and sunlight-induced false alarms.
BobLaske

Post by BobLaske »

I'll have to read the wiki to figure out what you mean but it's more than I had :).
For anyone else looking, check here.
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Defining_Zones

Thanks very much
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

In my mind, it's about detecting changes larger than the things you're looking for and using those large-scale changes to prevent other zones triggering.

I found this useful: ZoneMinder's Zoning System for Dummies
BobLaske

Post by BobLaske »

Thanks again, this helped to better understand also.