Suse Leap and cifs: using a dedicated hard drive

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
carverknut

Suse Leap and cifs: using a dedicated hard drive

Post by carverknut »

Hello,
i could successfully install 1.30.4 on a new install of Suse Leap 15. Both ffmpeg and vlc protocols produce video streams from my camera.

Now I wanted to symlink events and images to a directory on my NAS.

Following the directions in https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Using_a_ded ... Hard_Drive
did not bring success. I cannot change the ownership of my new directory on the NAS (events, images) with the command
chown -R apache:apache /symlink/events

as apache seems to be an invalid user. If I use wwwrun instead of apache it is a valid user, still the permission to change the ownership is not permitted.

I think that it is either about the permissions on the NAS's side (which I checked), or the attributes in the fstab symlink setup of 'events' and 'images'.

Any comment or link to further sources is most welcome.
thanks,
Knut
bbunge

Re: Suse Leap and cifs: using a dedicated hard drive

Post by bbunge »

The problem is getting a reliable connection to the nas when your Zoneminder server boots up. In Ubuntu I tested using systemd to mount a share which worked well because Zoneminder can be delayed until the mount is connected. You also need to have a file system on the nas that understands symbolic links.
Check put the WIKI for zm Ubuntu for the steps to do systemd mount.
mikb

Post by mikb »

What file system is your NAS using? FAT? ext2/3/4? NTFS?

A lot of these cheaper/lower end NAS boxes still use FAT file systems internally that don't know a thing about permissions and ownership, and so the NAS (or linux) may have to fake up some answers for you when accessed over the network.

I have two NASes here, where all files are owned by "root.root" no matter what I do, symlinks are a mystery, and any changes in mode (rwx) are automatically applied to user, group, and other, in parallel -- so no "rwxr-x-r-x" distinctions.

I don't use them for ZoneMinder :)
carverknut

Post by carverknut »

Hi,
thanks for your advice. I have to admit that I gave up setting up cifs as a protocol. Instead, I switched to nfs - and thus I was successful in chown the events and images folder on my NAS system to wwwrun.
So: it works!
thanks again,
Knut
mikb

Post by mikb »

... which means your underlying file system probably *is* something usable (ext2-3-4) and it's just that the CIFS/SMB implementation is only expecting to talk to DOS level computers.

Glad you sorted it.