API seems to fail when attempting to use component log files

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
kennbr34

API seems to fail when attempting to use component log files

Post by kennbr34 »

I was trying to setup ZoneMinder to send logs to /var/log/zm/ in individual log files so that I could track it outside of syslog. Anyway, I noticed that when I enabled the "component logs" option in the Logging options of the web console, that the API would no longer authenticate properly. zmNinja would no longer work, and when I went to myserver/zm/api/ there was just a CakePHP error page. I checked my apache error logs with tail after loading the page, and found this.

Code: Select all

PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/var/log/zmerror.log) [<a href='http://php.net/function.file-put-contents'>function.file-put-contents</a>]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api/lib/Cake/Log/Engine/FileLog.php on line 142
I'm not sure why it was doing this, as the /var/log/zm/ directory had proper permissions and ownership, and all the logging components were writing successfully.

At any rate, I decided I didn't need the logging to /var/log/zm/ afterall, but thought I should still bring this to light. Once I changed it back to default logging, the API works fine again.
iconnor

Re: API seems to fail when attempting to use component log files

Post by iconnor »

Which distro and how was ZoneMinder built? In ubuntu, cake should be automatically configured to put it's log files in /var/log/zm/cake_error.log.

I see that your cake is trying to create /var/log/zmerror.log which it won't have the permissions to do. You can edit /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api/app/Config/bootstrap.php

/**
* Configures default file logging options
*/
App::uses('CakeLog', 'Log');
CakeLog::config('debug', array(
'engine' => 'File',
'types' => array('notice', 'info', 'debug'),
'file' => 'cake_debug',
'path' => '/var/log/zm/'
));
CakeLog::config('error', array(
'engine' => 'File',