Montage not showing all cams.

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
dws

Montage not showing all cams.

Post by dws »

Something that has never worked on my installation, but is now becoming a problem: on Montage, only the first six monitors show video. Any monitors after #6 have an "fps -" marker, but their video is not shown.

This occurs whether I'm on on a machine on the local LAN or on the server running ZM itself.

All monitors show up on "Montage Review", and show video there in both live and review mode, but not in the "Montage" link.

Any and all thoughts on how to fix this would be welcome; I've spent weeks worth of man-hours trying to figure this one out.

Thanks in advance.

System: Mac PRO, Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS, ZM 1.30.4 installed from the ZM repository (not the Ubuntu one).
bbunge

Re: Montage not showing all cams.

Post by bbunge »

Are you using Firefox browser? If so look for the fix in the WIKI.
dws

Post by dws »

Negative. Chrome on Linux, though I'll look and see if there's anything that crosses over.
dws

Post by dws »

Ah.. Apparently three or more years ago it was pointed out (and I had forgotten about this!) that Chrome is hard-coded to limit six connections, and this explains why I can only view six cams at a time in Chrome.
It also appears that several work-arounds and/or fixes for this were suggested, but no consensus was reached as to which would be best.
-Having ZM compile all the cams into a single stream seems like it *could be* too CPU-intensive on the server side to be viable.
-Requests to the Google and FireFox maintainers to increase the number of incoming connections has seemed to have fallen on deaf ears.
-Using multiple DNS/Hostsfile entries to point to the same IP, then coding ZM to spread the connections out over those entries is wrought with both security and end-user-configuration issues.
-IE/Edge simply aren't available on *NIX without installing WINE, which brings a whole host of other issues into the mix, without guaranteeing the issue would be fixed.

Admins: Go ahead and lock this thread, as it seems there isn't a solution to this, and using "Montage Review" is a somewhat viable work-around, though it doesn't have all the functionality we're looking for.