New install but no picture

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
stuffedmonkey

New install but no picture

Post by stuffedmonkey »

Hi guys!
I made a new install today after my last one got toasted somehow, mysql went banans.

Ubuntu 16.04 server (LAMP installed) with ZM 1.30.4.
Installation went smooth, following the guide on the wiki. Change PATH_ZM and what not.
Added a couple of my cameras, but I get no picture. The monitor window only flickers now and then and displays a small broken picture thumbnail like back in the old days.
I've tried my rtsp link in VLC and adjusted the resolution accordingly.
I did get the control to work though, so I must be doing something right. I suspect this might be some codec issue or something of the like.

Anyone have some ideas on what i've run into?
Cheers
bbunge

Re: New install but no picture

Post by bbunge »

Sounds like you have done right things right. Next, check the free space in /dev/shm Resolution too high can wipe out space in the tmpfs. Lower the frame rate at the camera and halve the resolution used in Zoneminder for a start.

While I have been concentrating on Ubuntu 18.04 I did run the 16.04 - ZM 1.30.4 install a couple days ago and everything worked.
stuffedmonkey

Post by stuffedmonkey »

bbunge wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm Sounds like you have done right things right. Next, check the free space in /dev/shm Resolution too high can wipe out space in the tmpfs. Lower the frame rate at the camera and halve the resolution used in Zoneminder for a start.

While I have been concentrating on Ubuntu 18.04 I did run the 16.04 - ZM 1.30.4 install a couple days ago and everything worked.
Thanks for your answer @bbunge. I had a look but the /dev/shm is 95% free so thats not the problem. Adjusting frame rate and resolution gives me the same broken thumbnail.

Anyone else? =)
stuffedmonkey

Post by stuffedmonkey »

A little update:
I get a lot of this in the log:
Discarding frame 1140
and
Packet in sequence, gap ##

from one of the cameras. Thats one using:
Source:Remote
Protocol: RTSP
Method: RTSP/Unicast
Host: the ip
Port: 554
Path:/onvif1
24bit colour
320x180
stuffedmonkey

Post by stuffedmonkey »

New update.
Made a clean install and used zoneminder from Ubuntus default repo. Added cameras and it worked like a charm. Only problem now is that I cant control the cameras.

Control type: netcat ONVIF
is not present in my installation. It was on the first one though so I suspect this comes down to versions. At my first installation I used the iconnor repo to install zoneminder, which didnt work.
On this install I used the default Ubuntu repo but now I seem to be missing the netcat ONVIF alternative under "Control" ....bummer =)

Can anyone post their settings for netcat ONVIF so maybe I can add them manually somehow?
stuffedmonkey

Post by stuffedmonkey »

Ok, even though Im mostly speaking to myself, I wont give up.

I found this:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Netcat

which explains, sort of, how to add the netcat manually. I copied the script to my server.
But the biggest problem is:
"Next, save the sql statement shown in the commit to a file, call it netcat.sql, and then use zmcamtool to import it..."

What sql statement?? Cant find any. Please help!
stuffedmonkey

Post by stuffedmonkey »

So, I might as well finish my monolog before going to bed =)
I figured I'd give the file "zm_create.sql" a shot since it was mentioned in the "manual" for zmcamtool.pl.
Turns out that was the right one. Database updated and the new script netcat.pm imported! HELL YEAH!
I've got picture, I've got control, I've got moti.....well.

Next step, setting up alarms and notifications. Hopefully my rant here today can help someone else with their cheap Sricams.
Over and out
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

way to stick with it! good work :D