How best to reboot or power off Zoneminder servers quickly and gracefully?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
mysterylectricity

How best to reboot or power off Zoneminder servers quickly and gracefully?

Post by mysterylectricity »

I kept noticing a bunch of pesky errors in the log about not being able to stat /tmp/zm, socket errors, etc.

But once in a great while the logs would stay clean for days after a reboot. Seemed to come and go at random.

Eventually I hit on the idea of issuing "service zoneminder stop" before rebooting and that seemed to put a stop to all the errors.

What's the best way to reboot and power off a zoneminder server, respectively, with single commands? Gracefully, but without unneeded delay.

Probably in the docs somewhere, I really should read them cover to cover sometime.

TIA!
bbunge

Re: How best to reboot or power off Zoneminder servers quickly and gracefully?

Post by bbunge »

sudo reboot

About as simple as it gets. Systemd will shut Zoneminder down before rebooting
mysterylectricity

Post by mysterylectricity »

Thanks bbunge, yeah I more or less figured that out a day or two after posting. What had me fooled was that merely shutting down ZM via "service" seemed to take longer than a "reboot", so I assumed reboot was shutting down ungracefully. I think more the truth is that shuttinng down ZM via service took longer than _expected_, and reboot was faster than expected, so I subconciusly ignore thgat facts in the face of my expectations.

And the errors still come and go regardless so that was a a false lead, too.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

those errors come and go on all my systems and I still have not tracked down why and when....but everything on those ZM installs work well regardless of those errors...or so it seems.