Storage Geodiversity Soln. Sought for Zoneminder: RSYNC? Cloud? RAID over IP?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
mysterylectricity

Storage Geodiversity Soln. Sought for Zoneminder: RSYNC? Cloud? RAID over IP?

Post by mysterylectricity »

Hi,

OK what if someone breaks in and steals my Zoneminder server? Or worse? I suppose it's something we've all thought about.

As it happens I've got a high speed WIFI link with another residence about 1/2 mile away.

So I'm seeking input on server-diverse RAID-like strategies.

RSYNC? Home cloud ie: Ubuntu Cloud server? iSCSI? Is RAID over IP a thing yet?

If you've rolled a solution I'm sure we'd love to hear about it.

Or any advice on hopeful avenues for investigation.

Originally I was going to have two ZM installations on site (one near front of the house, one near the back) and one off site, but I figured it would be very difficult to "sandbox" each installation while at the same time trying to mirror.

Now I've decided to use a single ZM installation, a pair of StarTech PEXUSB3S44V USB cards which are unusual in that each of the four connectors has a dedicated channel (although my USB 2.0 webcams don't use all of a USB 2.0 port's bandwidth, each "reserves" more that %50 so only one can be used per port) and a mess of 32ft USB 2.0 active extension cables from Monoprice. I've successfully chained as many of 3 of these together with the cams (Logitech C920's, C922's, C930e's) for an overall reach of 100 feet, plenty. Planning on 7-9 cams. The offsite PC will only serve as the mirror, at least at first.

Any input appreciated!

-Jeff
iconnor

Re: Storage Geodiversity Soln. Sought for Zoneminder: RSYNC? Cloud? RAID over IP?

Post by iconnor »

In my dev branch I have code that will move events somewhere else in the background. It will write to amazon S3 too.

In the past I have used glusterfs, drbd they didn't work well with the million jpegs storage that ZM uses. However now with .mp4 storage they should work fine.
mysterylectricity

Re: Storage Geodiversity Soln. Sought for Zoneminder: RSYNC? Cloud? RAID over IP?

OK, I'll look into those and finally look into 1.31.x as well.

Thank you always!
mysterylectricity

Looking into drbd now. Don't have the guts to mess w/1.31.x yet. I'll let you know how it goes (not well I suspect).
mysterylectricity

Uh, actually I'm waffling on the issue. DRDB seems complicated and as you say probably won't work well,. I think I'll stabilize 1.30.4 on my "primary" machine, and start experimenting with 1.31.x on the "mirror". My friends are starting to look at me sideways for having spent so much time on ZM and having little more to show vs. when I started some many moons ago.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

mysterylectricity wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:43 am Uh, actually I'm waffling on the issue. DRDB seems complicated and as you say probably won't work well,. I think I'll stabilize 1.30.4 on my "primary" machine, and start experimenting with 1.31.x on the "mirror". My friends are starting to look at me sideways for having spent so much time on ZM and having little more to show vs. when I started some many moons ago.
Don't worry about your friends. When you succeed the will think you are great! I volunteer with a faith based group that refurbished computers and recycles electronics. There are several guys that were on the networking team where we worked that volunteer there too. For me computers were a hobby and I spent a lot of time tinkering. I took the time to learn a bit about Linux and OSX besides working with WIndows. Now I'm their go-to-guy when something comes up they don't understand. And they don't even want to begin to understand Zoneminder which is running in the warehouse. I spent some time with them Monday trying to educate them about current threats especially VPNFilter... they barely listened!

Networked RAID for off site? Interesting....