Hass.io (Home Assistant) ZoneMinder Switch Function Issue

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
RevelRob

Hass.io (Home Assistant) ZoneMinder Switch Function Issue

Post by RevelRob »

Hi there ZM-ers.

I’m having an issue with the Hass.io Zoneminder component. I set up the component and switch.
I can see the camera in my front end and activating the switches send the correct functions to the correct cameras in ZM.
The problem I’m having is with Buffers.
No matter how large or small I make the “Image Buffer Size”, “Pre Event Image Count” or “Post Event Image Count”, ZM only records from about 1-2 seconds after the switch is activated and stops immediately when the switch is turned to off.
Setting it to Modect properly records both Pre and Post buffers.

I tried from Monitor to Record and from Nodect to Record but neither work.
Is there a setting I’m missing?

I have a camera monitoring my hallway and front door. The hallway gets a lot of traffic. I have a sensor on the door. I'm looking to have the camera record from a few seconds before the front door is opened.

I tried using external triggers with zmtrigger.pl, but had trouble bashing into the docker to send the commands. Also, it would be difficult to set up the commands with Home Assistant, especially since there is already a switch component.

Details:
ZoneMinder 1.30.4 running in UnRAID Docker Container by dlandon Link to Docker Hub
Hass.io 0.62.1 with Supervisor 0.86 Home Assistant

Thanks.
bbunge

Re: Hass.io (Home Assistant) ZoneMinder Switch Function Issue

Post by bbunge »

I feel that your question belongs in another forum. If you have questions about Zoneminder this is the place. But not some other home automation sysyem.
RevelRob

Post by RevelRob »

bbunge wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 pm I feel that your question belongs in another forum. If you have questions about Zoneminder this is the place. But not some other home automation sysyem.
The question IS about ZoneMinder. The home automation system is working like it should. I only mentioned it because I followed the posting rules on this forum which states: "We rely on you to accurately describe your system and provide detailed information"... So I did.

I should probably clarify...
When I change a monitor from "Monitor" to "Record", even in the ZoneMinder UI, it does not record any buffers.
When I have the monitor set to "Modect", buffers are recorded (5 seconds before movement happens, 5 seconds after movement stops).
Why do buffers not work when I switch modes from "Monitor" to "Record"?

Hopefully that clarifies things.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Sorry. Don't know about and am not interested in Docker configuration. Recommend seeing the Zoneminder install procedure in the WIKI for your flavor of Ubuntu.
RevelRob

Post by RevelRob »

I may just try to install it in an Ubuntu VM; however, I feel like it has nothing to do with the installation.
Can you do me a huge favour and test something for me if possible?

Can you let me know if buffers are recorded for you if you go from Monitor to Record and Back?

Thanks.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Yes they work. I have a setup that goes from mocord to modect for night and back in the morning.
VM for testing is OK but for long term i feel a full install is best. Why add a layer that eats resources!
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

bbunge wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 pm Yes they work. I have a setup that goes from mocord to modect for night and back in the morning.
VM for testing is OK but for long term i feel a full install is best. Why add a layer that eats resources!
Actually Monitor does not record anything. But I did go from Record to Monitor and back to Record and did get an event in the database for both Records.
RevelRob

Post by RevelRob »

Yes, I get an event for the record as well. It just doesn't record the buffers. It records from the moment I switch to record.
Using buffers should allow the event to show the recording from BEFORE it is switched.