Unable to access feeds on separate subnet

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
sunkid

Unable to access feeds on separate subnet

Post by sunkid »

Hi,

I have a new install on Centos 7 and have ZM working fine as long as I keep the cameras on the same subnet (10.0.2.1/24) as the ZM server. When I move them to a separate subnet (10.0.4.1/24), I can still discover them using the ONVIF method and I can view the feeds using VLC. ZM, however, no longer shows the feeds and there are numerous socket and encoding-related errors in the logs.

Adding a NIC to the ZM server is definitely a possibility, but I am trying to understand why that would be necessary.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
bbunge

Re: Unable to access feeds on separate subnet

Post by bbunge »

Basic networking. Suggest you ask Google... Not a Zoneminder issue
sunkid

Post by sunkid »

bbunge wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm Basic networking. Suggest you ask Google... Not a Zoneminder issue
Thanks for the response. Any explanation why it works with VLC but not with ZM?
Paranoid

Post by Paranoid »

ZM might be using UDP and VLC using TCP. The camera could be setting the TTL (time to live) with UDP to 1 which would mean UDP is only available on the same subnet.
sunkid

Post by sunkid »

Thanks all. I solved the issue by adding the NIC for the subnet. Now, I cannot see the cameras in the ONVIF detector, but if I add them manually, everything works.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

You could have added a second IP to the NIC if the second subnet was on the same physical LAN. I use Webmin to set this up several times where I want to isolate the cameras by IP from prying eyes on the LAN. I use a second NIC on a system where the ZM server needs to be accessible from separate LANs in the same building.