Problem with PTZ cameras - zmcontrol error

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
px03afk

Problem with PTZ cameras - zmcontrol error

Post by px03afk »

As I have just had problems, which I was able to sort out, I thought I would record the information just in case somebody else ran into a similar issue.

I have been running zoneminder for several years. When I started I had to use the source as there was no other option for OpenSuse so I've always continued from source. I recently had to rebuild one of my servers and then had a number of issues but the worst was trying to get zmcontrol to work. From the gui it simply gave me an error and from the command line I got 'Insecure dependency in eval while running with -T switch at /usr/lib/perl5/5.18.2/Module/Metadata.pm line 631, <GEN0> line 55.' The clue should probably have been in the location of Metadata but I'm nowhere near an expert with perl so it dfidn't point me anywhere.

In the end I ran zmcontrol in debug mode on the rebuilt server and the original one. That taught me quite a bit about perl debug capabilities - handy for the future. It still took me a while to notice that the location of Metadata on the working machine was not the same place as on the bad one. Closer looking at the files on each showed that there was more than one on the working machine, in different locations, but @INC was picking up a later one on the good machine. cpan -u works wonders and having done that the new machine is working OK.

So, the lesson I have learnt is that the basic install on OpenSuse isn't fully up to date and it's worth running cpan -u after the initial install.