Timeline snapshot images are not visible

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
soggyc

Timeline snapshot images are not visible

Post by soggyc »

(Edited to add machine hardware and how I installed ZM)
I'm running Zoneminder v 1.30.2 on openSuse Leap 42.2. (Dell Dimension 9100 - 2 gigs or RAM) (

Installed ZM with these instructions:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Installing_ ... s_for_SuSE

This is a fresh install of the OS and ZM. I'm up an running with a single camera. When I try to browse recorded events in the timeline view by passing the mouse pointer over the timeline, I can't see the snapshot of the event. There is just a gray box with the text "View Event" where the snapshot should be.

I can select the event and have no problem viewing the stream so I know that I'm recording images. Additionally, If I click on "stills" in the event view, I only see gray boxes. I don't know if this is a related problem or a separate one.

Obviously something is not quite right, but I'm not sure what/where to look. There are no errors being recorded in the Log.

Previously I ran ZM on openSuse 13.1 without this problem, but I can't remember the version of ZM I was running there. Any thoughts?
Last edited by soggyc on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockedge

Re: Timeline snapshot images are not visible

Post by rockedge »

I often run ZM with Puppy Linux and this happens also on some setups. Check to see that the mysql server's time is synced with the php time and system time. check the permissions of the events , images and temp folders that the Apache user can read & write from and to them.
soggyc

Post by soggyc »

Thanks for the reply. I verified that mysql and php and the system time are all the same. I have my php.ini timezone value set to the "America/Los_Angeles", mysql is using system time and the system is set to PST. As a double check I set the php.ini to UTC and I could no longer view the stream events. I changed it back to my timezone and I'm can now view video again.

Next I looked at the file permissions. The "Paths" tab under options in theory shows me where the images and events are found, right? I found those directories and the user is wwwrun and the user group is www. I think that makes sense based on how zoneminder gets setup. What I found interesting is that the images directory doesn't have anything in it. Should that be the case?

Just for fun, I checked the box in options to display mini-thumbnails of event images in event lists, and those images appear fine in the events page. I think those images would be the same ones that would show in the snapshot window as you roll the mouse over the timeline.

It's almost like the code that should retrieve the images that would be shown in the snapshot window, is pointing to the wrong directory or something. Any thoughts on how to debug that?
soggyc

Post by soggyc »

I'm thinking it is a permissions thing now, but I don't know why. I was able to use the Firefox "Inspect Element" by right clicking on some of the timeline view output. I was able to trace the code that should grab the image to make it show up in the snapshot window and I'm getting Access forbidden error output:

"You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403"

I looked at the directory where images are stored and the're owned by wwwrun and belong to group www. The file permissions are: -rw-r--r--

Why would I get a 403 error?
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

in the Debian and Ubuntu flavors /var/cache/zoneminder contains 3 folders....events images temp.......all of these folders should be owned by the Apache user...in your case wwwrun? try something like

Code: Select all

#chown -R wwwrun /var/cache/zoneminder
soggyc

Post by soggyc »

rockedge, thanks for the reply.

On my opensuse setup I only have an events, images and a temp folder located here:

/srv/www/htdocs/zm/events
/srv/www/htdocs/zm/images
/srv/www/htdocs/zm/temp

The images does not have anything located in it and temp is empty as well.

I've looked in /var/cache and there is no zoneminder directory.
soggyc

Post by soggyc »

Finally figured out my issue. I'll include it here in case anyone else is running opensuse and has this problem. It had to do with the way that apache was cofigured.

I needed to modifiy my zm.conf file ( located at /etc/apache2/conf.d/zm.conf )

I changed the default "Require all denied" to "Require all granted" for the directory where the snapshot images are found. The following section is how my zm.conf file appears now.

<Directory /srv/www/htdocs/zm/events/>
Require all granted

Everything works like a champ now. I can see the snapshot images and I can see the still images for each recorded event. - Mystery solved.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

excellent find. good work on the fix and info. :)