How to make Zoneminder not record during the night?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
mhstar89

How to make Zoneminder not record during the night?

Post by mhstar89 »

For virtually all my outdoor cameras, I'm getting so many extra events from spiderwebs swaying in the wind / dust blowing around, that I can't really record during night (lest I fill up my disk too quickly). So, what I would like to do is do Modect only during day, and Nodect during the night (possibly with external triggers, or maybe with different sensitivity settings - though a white spiderweb would likely trigger no matter what).

How do I accomplish that? Now hear me out - I know about zonestates, and switching with "/usr/bin/zmpkg.pl Daytime". The problem with these is that they're a performance disaster - they seem to shut down Zoneminder and restart it, with all the cameras disconnecting / reconnecting, resulting in the script taking ~30 seconds, and just as many events being missed.

While I'll probably be all right, in times where people pride themselves with high availability, turning yourself blind for 30 seconds feels like a messy solution. Is there a better way than zonestates? What if I edit things directly in the database - will zoneminder pick it up?

Thanks in advance!
~ Michael
bbunge

Re: How to make Zoneminder not record during the night?

Post by bbunge »

Set the current Run State for Day. Create another Run State for Night and configure your cameras for Nodect or whatever.

Create a cron job to switch from Day to Night run state.
Command: /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl Day or /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl Night