alarms - can alarm in one monitor force alarm in other monitors?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
alabamatoy

alarms - can alarm in one monitor force alarm in other monitors?

Post by alabamatoy »

As the subject states, I would like an alarm in one monitor to be able to force alarm in 1 or more other monitors. Is this possible?
bbunge

Re: alarms - can alarm in one monitor force alarm in other monitors?

Post by bbunge »

Yes, linked monitors.
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

After quite a bit of experimentation with this, I am forced to the conclusion that the functionality either doesn't work, or I have something configured wrong.

Monitors 1, 2 and 3. Monitor 2 is linked to 1 and 3. Every event created by monitor 2 sets in motion an endless recording event on both monitor 1 and 2 (3 seems ignored). Recording will continue until I forcibly stop it, by unlinking 1 and 3 from 2. During recording, of course, the events show zero length etc. Monitor 3 will not record at all when linked from 2, only 1 and 2 will record when 2 goes into alarm. This behavior is repeatable.

I only have monitors 1 and 3 identified in monitor 2, so I do not have any circular links that I can see. I have tried linking 2 only to 3 and 3 to 1, and I still get the same behavior.

What am I doing wrong?
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

Also, I get no notification when 2 goes into alarm. But as soon as I unlink 2 from 1 and 3, it immediately fires off an email notification of events on 1 and 2.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Yup, you have cross linked monitors that will create the endless loop.

Linked Monitors
This field allows you to select other monitors on your system that act as triggers for this monitor. So if you have a camera covering one aspect of your property you can force all cameras to record while that camera detects motion or other events. You can either directly enter a comma separated list of monitor ids or click on ‘Select’ to choose a selection. Be very careful not to create circular dependencies with this feature however you will have infinitely persisting alarms which is almost certainly not what you want! To unlink monitors you can ctrl-click.