Zoneminder 1.30.4 and streaming on Ubuntu

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
LisaNels

Zoneminder 1.30.4 and streaming on Ubuntu

Post by LisaNels »

I've been working on and off trying to get ffmpeg streaming to work.

ffmpeg is installed, but I have no idea how to configure the settings in zoneminder. I've tried a lot of things, but the closest I've come is using the 'video' selection on an event and generate/download videos.
bbunge

Re: Zoneminder 1.30.4 and streaming on Ubuntu

Post by bbunge »

You really do not need to configure ffmpeg if you installed Zoneminder per the WIKI instructions. You will need to set up a camera to get a stream and that can be trying but ther are plenty of resources for cameras. Google is your friend to find those.

With that said you do have to configure Zoneminder to get it to use ffmpeg to create videos from events.

Two things folks do not do is to not change PATH_ZMS and to use the correct camera resolution.
LisaNels

Post by LisaNels »

I have all the cameras working great, what I'm trying to figure out is how to change from jpeg picture sequences to streaming via mpeg or something.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

You will have to wait for a future release of Zoneminder. As for now, think of the stream as watching a movie from a film projector. The film has a series of pictures that move across the lens and show motion. Has worked great for over 100 years!

If you want to use ffmpeg to export videos, go to Options/Images
OPT_FFMPEG checked
PATH_FFMPEG /usr/bin/ffmpeg

This is for Ubuntu 16.04 with ZM 1.30.4 Other versions could have a different path to ffmpeg
LisaNels

Post by LisaNels »

ok, so it's not just me!! Good!
I am able to create videos etc., but when I was unable to get some features working figured I would ask on here.
I'll wait patiently for a future release of Zoneminder for Linux....
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

The events (including full time recordings) can be converted to video using ffmpeg. See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24686 Its fiddley to get setup and working, but once working seems reliable. Its also consumes a lot of processor power.

The result is not streaming and its not realtime, but its *is* an mpeg video versus the rapid repetition of images, and the resulting video takes up a LOT less disc space, something on the order of 18:1 better compression, IIRC.

ZM currently has built-in export of a single event to a video using ffmpeg. Again, not real time, not streaming, but the result is a video file which is much simpler to share or submit as evidence or whatever.

HTH....
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

alabamatoy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 am ZM currently has built-in export of a single event to a video using ffmpeg. Again, not real time, not streaming, but the result is a video file which is much simpler to share or submit as evidence or whatever.

HTH....
Law enforcement likes the stills better than videos per my experience.