ZM won't record in MoDect mode

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
siukwai

ZM won't record in MoDect mode

Post by siukwai »

ZM: 1.30.4 on Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server

I'm trying to get MoDect working. Live view works fine (Monitor) and I can see the cam, but when I switch it from Monitor to Modect the "socket doesn't exist" error pops up when i enter any of the active zones to try and get it to record. Strangely enough, when it's set to continuous record it will record an event properly.

What is different about my setup is that the server is remote and this is a multi-server install (mysql db is remote and i've mounted the /events and /images folders using sshfs). No problem with the mounting or access privileges and it does seem to record properly in continuous mode.

What can I look at next? Any help appreciated!

ZMS_PATH: /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms

ZM Logs:
2017-11-13 23:09:17.923908 web_php
ERR
Socket /var/run/zm/zms-090484s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information. /usr/share/zoneminder/www/includes/functions.php 2033

Apache access.log:
192.168.3.106 - - [13/Nov/2017:23:09:12 -0800] "GET /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=jpeg&scale=100&maxfps=30&buffer=1000&monitor=4&connkey=90484&rand=1510643352 HTTP/1.1" 200
# looks like 200 is getting returned from /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms so my cgi-bin address is correct?
bbunge

Re: ZM won't record in MoDect mode

Post by bbunge »

Well, the obvious question... is there something moving in front of the camera that the system can detect? Record and mocord record all the time. Modect only records on motion detection.
siukwai

Post by siukwai »

Right. I'm tweaking the modect settings and seem to be having more success with events getting recorded, so will continue to tweak that.

I am still worried about the zm stacktrace that says that cgi-bin is misconfigured, is that something I should worry about or try to fix or are there a lot of other causes which could trigger that error message?

siuks
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

siukwai wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm Right. I'm tweaking the modect settings and seem to be having more success with events getting recorded, so will continue to tweak that.

I am still worried about the zm stacktrace that says that cgi-bin is misconfigured, is that something I should worry about or try to fix or are there a lot of other causes which could trigger that error message?

siuks
Possible you have some permissions that need to be fixed. If you used the readthedocs to install Zoneminder I recommend you review the install in the WIKI: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
Also, change PATH_SWAP to /dev/shm
siukwai

Post by siukwai »

Right. That was the exact guide I used to install ZM (onto a fresh Ubuntu 16.04.03). I've already double and triple checked the apache a2enmod cgi, etc commands. How can I troubleshoot further on my system?