Upgrading from 1.25.0 to current

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
TheBob97

Upgrading from 1.25.0 to current

Post by TheBob97 »

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade an existing Zoneminder install, currently on v1.25.0, and moving it to a new machine with an updated OS.

Can I just copy over the existing database and selected events to the new machine, and install the current zoneminder version? Or will I need to install the other updates first (1.26, 1.27, etc)? If so, where do I find those versions?

I'll also need to convert to deep folders - can I just run zmaudit on the new machine to do this?
Or does this need to be done prior?

Thanks for the advice.
knight-of-ni

Re: Upgrading from 1.25.0 to current

Post by knight-of-ni »

I'm going to assume by "current" you mean the latest release, which is 1.30.4. Consequently, I've gone ahead and moved this to the 1.30.x forum.

The following steps assume you already have a working 1.30.4 instance of zoneminder with an empty dB already set up. If you have local devices, rather than IP devices, then you will need to ensure the local devices are moved to the new server & working after step 6 below.

To upgrade you need to perform the following in order:
  1. stop zoneminder on your existing system
  2. backup your database
  3. enable deep storage under options
  4. use zmupdate.pl --migrate-events then wait a while
  5. restart zm and verify zm 1.25 still runs normally (wait 10 minutes to verify zmaudit doesn't see anything wrong)
  6. stop zoneminder
  7. copy your database backup to the new system and restore it to the zm database
  8. copy all your events to the proper event folder on the new system
  9. run zmupdate.pl to upgrade the dB schema to 1.30.4
  10. Inspect Options -> Paths and verify all the values on that tab are correct. The parameters are highly system specific. PATH_ZMS may have to be adjusted
  11. start zoneminder
With all that said, you should consider whether the work is worth it. Since you are moving to a new machine, you could just leave your old system around for a few weeks while the new system runs with an empty database. The old system will no longer be able to see live video, but you could still pull up recorded events if you needed to.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/