Crazy intermittent streaking issue on SV3C cameras

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Pete1

Re: Crazy intermittent streaking issue on SV3C cameras

Post by Pete1 »

I have the same on Centos with a SV3C HD camera.
I changed to 32 bit colour but that didn't solve it.

In Centos 7, this is my ffmpeg:

ffmpeg version 2.8.13 Copyright (c) 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.8.5 (GCC) 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16)

The main settings are below. If I try changing them I would be doing so blindly - can anyone provide clues as to what is causing the streaking? I don't have the same folders as fendo above.

Server None
Source Type Ffmpeg
Function Modect
Enabled ticked
Linked Monitors None
Analysis FPS (blank)
Maximum FPS (?) 30
Alarm Maximum FPS (?) 30
Reference Image Blend %ge 12.5
Alarm Reference Image Blend %ge 12.5

Source Path rtsp://a.b.c.d:554/11
Remote Method (?) TCP
Options (?)
Target colorspace 32 bit colour
Capture Width (pixels) 1920
Capture Height (pixels) 1080
Preserve Aspect Ratio
Orientation Normal
Deinterlacing Disabled

Image Buffer Size (frames) 50
Warmup Frames 25
Pre Event Image Count 25
Post Event Image Count 25
Stream Replay Image Buffer 1000
Alarm Frame Count 3
btr2

Post by btr2 »

Hey Pete,

I still have my issue - I can absolutely confirm that the cameras are working fine through their own interfaces as I've been checking.

I have resolved it however, by setting a CRON job to restart Zoneminder every six hours. It means the cameras are down for a few seconds but this is fine for me. Occasionally, the streaking happens within the six hours, but I don't really notice if it does as by he time I check back, a restart has occurred. Does seem to suggest the streaking happens at completely random times though, which is even stranger.

If I knew more about these individual settings, I might be able to diagnose.
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

I had thought about adding a cron job to restart Zoneminder.

Yesterday I tried changing the source type to Libvlc - today it is already streaking so that didn't cure it.
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

I had a look at the log within Zoneminder and after the streaking starts there are lots of warnings like this: Buffer overrun at index 8, image 281408, slow down capture, speed up analysis or increase ring buffer size.

Then I looked directly at the logging on the machine. Prior to the issue there are plenty of INF messages along the lines of "Capturing at 14.08fps" and "Analysing at 14.29fps" with slight variations in the rates.

When the streaking begins, small bits of the frame are initially corrupted and at the same time in the logs are lines like "INF [In overload mode, 6 frames of 6 remaining]", which count down 6, 5,... 1 frames of 6. Rarely are there any further capturing or analysing log messages; any that I spot are at a lower fps than 14.

Does that give anyone any clues?

For me it had been running several days (maybe even a couple of weeks) without streaking. I do have the camera set to "maximum frame" 25, which I believe if their translation for the frame rate generated. If this were too much for the system to handle I would have expected issues to occur fairly quickly. I do accept that I don't need 25fps for CCTV, if that is the cause.
btr2

Post by btr2 »

Generally, those max FPS boxes can be left empty - ZM should just be allowed to use the FPS rates set within the camera interfaces themselves. That said, mine are blank as suggested, and the streaking still occurs.
Themoss

Post by Themoss »

I also have the exact same issue with the same cameras. Starts with a slight distortion to image and within a couple min the image is completely blurred. I can connect the same stream while am is showing a pink blur with vlc and it looks fine. I'm also on ubuntu 16.04 and updated ffmpeg with no success. I was considering going to centavos until somebody said they had had still had the same issue. Restarting am seems fixes the issue.weird it doesn't seem to be the cameras because the stream looks great while zm is having issues but it seems to only be happening with these cameras.
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

Since setting up a cron job to restart Zoneminder once per day I've not (yet) seen any evidence of the problem - at most I'll get one day before the issue occurs. I am wondering whether it actually won't occur in that duration so will never see it again. It's not ideal in that it shouldn't need to be done, but until someone much more knowledgeable with the problem is able to identify a cure I will leave my daily restart of Zoneminder.

It's a shame as the cameras are good value. While the night performance with IR leaves something to be desired (I'd struggle to identify myself on the image!) the day performance is fine. I wouldn't be surprised to find that all budget CCTV cameras perform roughly similar in terms of image quality and the answer is probably either a PIR floodlight (which I rather dislike) or an IR floodlight which could be on from dusk to dawn.
thre56tfgd

Post by thre56tfgd »

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the same issue with the same cameras. ZM v1.30.4 on CentOS 7.4
nigi

Post by nigi »

Hi,
I'm a newbee and I have the same problem. The SV3C causes an alarm, therefore my disk is flooded. Is there any way to limit an alarm by an upper limit? E.g. canceling and deleting an alarm longer then e.g. 30 minutes? By such a function I could stop these infinite alarms...
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

If you read enough Zoneminder forum post you will discover the best thing to do when having problems with cameras is to:

1: check free space in tmpfs, /dev/shm
2: lower camera resolution
3: lower frame rate, for IP cameras do this at the camera
4: increase key frame interval, this sends a full frame more often
5: make sure the connection uses TCP as UDP, the default for rtsp, can drop frames

Once you get the camera working start to push the values up if you want to. But, for security systems 640x480 @ 5FPS is great! You are not making HD videos after all!
thre56tfgd

Post by thre56tfgd »

bbunge wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:44 pm If you read enough Zoneminder forum post you will discover the best thing to do when having problems with cameras is to:

5: make sure the connection uses TCP as UDP, the default for rtsp, can drop frames

Once you get the camera working start to push the values up if you want to. But, for security systems 640x480 @ 5FPS is great! You are not making HD videos after all!
You mean decrease the key frame interval so it sends a key frame more often. But none of that is helpful. Did you even read the thread?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

thre56tfgd wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm
bbunge wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:44 pm If you read enough Zoneminder forum post you will discover the best thing to do when having problems with cameras is to:

You mean decrease the key frame interval so it sends a key frame more often. But none of that is helpful. Did you even read the thread?
Hmmm... you are correct. I am inconsistent with key frame interval...what I mean is to send a full frame more often. Increase the rate of full frame or decrease the setting value should mean the same thing.

But, what I do not see is the model of the SV3C camera with the issue. The SV3C support site lists three series of cameras: HX, L and A. Each looks like it has a different format which may need to be addressed in the Zoneminder settings.

The HX series: http://www.sv3c.com/userfiles/files/Dow ... i_RTSP.pdf

The L series: http://www.sv3c.com/userfiles/files/Dow ... s/RTSP.pdf

The A series: http://www.sv3c.com/userfiles/files/Dow ... l/RTSP.pdf

A good starting point is to get the camera to work in VLC. You can use one of the ONVIF utilities to get some initial settings. Once stable in VLC, go to Tools, Media Information, Codec to check camera Display Resolution. It may not be exactly what the camera manufacturer claims but this is what you should use in Zoneminder Capture width Capture height. Usually you can divide the values in half and use those in Zoneminder for a smaller image.
thre56tfgd

Post by thre56tfgd »

bbunge wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:47 am Hmmm... you are correct. I am inconsistent with key frame interval...what I mean is to send a full frame more often. Increase the rate of full frame or decrease the setting value should mean the same thing.

But, what I do not see is the model of the SV3C camera with the issue. The SV3C support site lists three series of cameras: HX, L and A. Each looks like it has a different format which may need to be addressed in the Zoneminder settings.

A good starting point is to get the camera to work in VLC. You can use one of the ONVIF utilities to get some initial settings. Once stable in VLC, go to Tools, Media Information, Codec to check camera Display Resolution. It may not be exactly what the camera manufacturer claims but this is what you should use in Zoneminder Capture width Capture height. Usually you can divide the values in half and use those in Zoneminder for a smaller image.
Again, it doesn't seem like you read through the thread. This is a ZM issue; streams are working fine in VLC.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

thre56tfgd wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:53 pm
bbunge wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:47 am Hmmm... you are correct. I am inconsistent with key frame interval...what I mean is to send a full frame more often. Increase the rate of full frame or decrease the setting value should mean the same thing.

Again, it doesn't seem like you read through the thread. This is a ZM issue; streams are working fine in VLC.
Yes, I read through the thread. You assume I've not come across this issue before and I have. As I do not have one of these cameras I'm giving you my best suggestions to figure out the problem yourself!
Very likely not a Zoneminder issue but incorrect setup or operator error.
thre56tfgd

Post by thre56tfgd »

bbunge wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:59 pm Very likely not a Zoneminder issue but incorrect setup or operator error.
Please come back when you actually have something to contribute. Being arrogant and assumptive isn't helping anyone.