Unable to open input - Blue Screen

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
wport

Unable to open input - Blue Screen

Post by wport »

I can not connect to my Foscam FI9800p camera in Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Debian 9. When I click the Name of the camera on the ZM Console, I only see a blue screen

I Installed Zoneminder 1.30.4 following the "Debian 9 64-bit using the "Zoneminder 1.30.4 the Easy Way" instructions at

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_9_64 ... e_Easy_Way

Followed the configuration instructions for the camera. Like others the username format is:

rtsp://<username>:<mandatory password>@<camera ip address>:<port>/videoMain

Name - foscam
Source Type - Ffmpeg

Source Path - rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.xxx:88/videoMain

Capture Width - 1280
Capture Height - 720

I did not see any errors with the install. My ZM log shows 1 error:

Unable to open input rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.xxx:88/videoMain due to: Connection reset by peer

The previous installation on this box ( I believe 1.30.0 ) worked fine on Debian Stretch Testing, following earlier instructions.

I CAN connect and see the camera using the Foscam IP Camera Tool in Safari on my mac (on the same network), using the same credentials provided in Zoneminder.

The tool shows - FI9800P http://192.168.1.xxx:88

Also, tried Vlc on both Debian and Mac and received the error:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.xxx:88/videoMain'

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
rockedge

Re: Unable to open input - Blue Screen

Post by rockedge »

blue screen sounds like your close to success. The time stamp is displayed? If so, a camera resolution setting does not match the actual resolution the camera is outputting exactly, which is a typical cause of the blue screen. Is there any way for VLC to open the camera's stream?
wport

Post by wport »

Thanks for the reply.

The time stamp on the blue screen shows the correct date and time in the top left. I tried to open the stream using VLC but received error:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.xxx:88/videoMain'

The resolution is set according to the camera specification, 1280 X 720
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

you need to determine the actual resolution the camera is streaming, it can be different then the specs.
Can you use the "Probe" feature or ffprobe to see if this is the case? Have you tried another method to stream? Usually if VLC can open the stream so will zoneminder.
wport

Re: Unable to open input - Blue Screen (Solved)

Post by wport »

I had a feeling it was something simple. I Checked the settings in the Foscam IP Tool on my Mac and discovered that I was using the wrong port. The Foscam uses port 554 for RTSP. I was using port 88. Changed the port number in the Source Path and everything POPPED!
bbunge

Re: Unable to open input - Blue Screen (Solved)

Post by bbunge »

wport wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:31 am I had a feeling it was something simple. I Checked the settings in the Foscam IP Tool on my Mac and discovered that I was using the wrong port. The Foscam uses port 554 for RTSP. I was using port 88. Changed the port number in the Source Path and everything POPPED!
Ah...but some Foscam's do use port 88! All depends on the way the wind is blowing the day they program the camera. As always it is a great idea to know what the camera is set for and not what the specs say...

Did you use the Debian 9 instructions that were updated after the "official" release of Stretch? Let me know if you have any issues or if a step was not clear.

bb
wport

Post by wport »

I did use the Debian 9 instructions that were updated after the official Stretch release. The instructions were very clear. Everything's working fine now.

My next task is to get email alerts working. I couldn't get them to work on my previous install.

wp
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

the problem with the email notification may be caused by missing PERL modules that deal with sending emails from ZM. if you look in the options dealing with email click on the question marks and a tool tip will appear with the info concerning that field. here you can see the names of the actual modules concerning email functions. add these if missing.
wport

Post by wport »

Thanks, I'll check it out and advise.

wp