Email notification when cameras are down github issue 227/228

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Russkil

Email notification when cameras are down github issue 227/228

Post by Russkil »

Hi

I have recently started using zoneminder and was after functionality to tell me when zoneminder thought a webcamera is offline.

looking through zoneminder articles i stumbled accross github issue 227/228 that mentioned that it had been included in release 1.29.0

Can anyone point me in the correct direction of how to use as i cannot see where it has been implemented?

Thanks
rockedge

Re: Email notification when cameras are down github issue 227/228

Post by rockedge »

there is a parameter in Filters that is called "Cause". I use this as a rule condition that acts like

Code: Select all

if Cause = "Signal" then do something
here is an example attached
capture29597.png
capture29597.png (26.53 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
I have a wifi netcam that loses connection once in awhile and will not recover sometimes and I noticed that the cause is "Signal"
so I use the cause rule also not to send and event email due to a signal loss but seems like one could actually use it to send a notice of camera failure.
Russkil

Post by Russkil »

cheers for the info will give it a go. is there any location where i can find out more about the filters that can be used?
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I think that this filter will only work if the monitors are in NODECT, MODECT, MOCORD or RECORD. More information on how to construct the individual filters is here https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/st ... vents.html

and there is more information and questions on the Filters floating around this forum in older posts, that you would need to search for but this section of the manual will get you started.

The Filters are a very important part of ZoneMinder and really come into play managing these type of events and are good tools for helping manage systems that generate a lot of events.
Good Luck!
kmg454

Post by kmg454 »

This filter Cause= Signal only exist when a camera comes back online but not when when the connection is lost
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

interesting find. That is good to know. Then a script perhaps, a daemon that analyzes the logs looking for camera disconnect? There would need to be a function to directly address each camera and look for the correct response otherwise. I will experiment and look for a method to reliably detect a missing camera in a ZM setup.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I see that the original suggestion was to monitor the logs.......but what if one could use that function that does this and writes to the log and tap into that?