Streaming issues

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
owaring

Streaming issues

Post by owaring »

Zoneminder version 1.30.2 Ubuntu version 16.04.2

I have resisted posting for help in the hope f a solution via the forums/google/brute force/trial and error but to no avail...

I have a single camera set up as a test rig to check the suitability of zm as a home brew system. That camera streams via rtsp.

I had put ZM on the back burner as a work in progress, working on other projects until 16.04.02 was released. until then I had found patchy success, but once I nailed the cgi paths no issues streaming via browser or on iPhone with zmNinja. One issue I did have was around permissions creating events, due to sym links on an external drive.

On installing 16.04.02 I re-addressed the structure of the external drive changing file systems and solving that problem. No other changes made. Lo and behold as soon as I set events/images/sounds from the local drive to external then streaming broke. That said zmNinja still works.

I have reviewed the obvious logs and find the following error whenever I try and stream

Code: Select all

Socket does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq.html#why-can-t-i-see-streamed-images-when-i-can-see-stills-in-the-zone-window-etc for more information.
as well as in apache

Code: Select all

PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: remSocketFile in /usr/share/zoneminder/www/ajax/stream.php on line 56, referer: http://192.168.1.111/zm/index.php?view=watch&mid=2
Having reviewed running processes via htop I note that zms initiates when zmNinja calls to stream but does not when streaming via a browser.

Is anyone able to offer any pointers to what to try next, or if I can provide any further information.

Many thanks in anticipation.
bbunge

Re: Streaming issues

Post by bbunge »

You may want to revisit the way you have your external drive set up. I believed you mentioned symbolic links which can cause you problems with Zoneminder.

I strongly recommend you review the process for mounting internal (external too) drives with systemd: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... ive_or_NAS
Have tried to build in safeguards to avoid problems if the drive is not mounted correctly on reboot.
owaring

Post by owaring »

I am pretty confident that the previous issue with external drive and symlinks is resolved, but thanks for your reply bbunge.
I should have highlighted that there are no issues recording events, creating the file system to manage them or saving image captures. Also no issues viewing those stills via timeline view.

To be certain, I have disabled the use of external drive and reverted to a single drive set up.
I experience the same behaviour and no less or more errors
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

your problem is the path in Apache and config for the /cgi-bin. If event storage and playback is working and you can see still images being saved and when working with zones you can see the image but not stream all points to a problem with the path, Alias or config of /cgi-bin
owaring

Post by owaring »

resolved! by edit in /etc/apache2/conf-available/zoneminder.conf

many thanks
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

your welcome. glad you got it going!
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

owaring: because this is such a common problem, and you got it solved, could you tell us what you found, and what you changed it to that made it work (and what ZMS_PATH is in your configs)?