prevent "signal" to create event

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
zd59

prevent "signal" to create event

Post by zd59 »

Hello!

I set up ZM to detect motion on low resolution stream from camera - "modect" and recording events on high resolution stream from the same camera linked to low stream. This stream is "nodect".
At times hi res. stream is interrupted and that creates alarm event that is recorded regardless "nodect"status of monitor. HOw to prevent this?

The state I want is:
1. lowres stream - detect events,DO NOT RECORD ANYTHING
2. hires stream - linked to lowres, DO NOT create and record its own events, only record linked events from lowres.

So the goal is to have recorded ONLY hi resolution events created and linked from low resolution monitor and NO events detected & recorded on hi resolution monitor (signal errors).

Is that possible, and how to configure ZM to achive that.

Any idea?
rockedge

Re: prevent "signal" to create event

Post by rockedge »

Yes I think so. Use a Filter to remove the the events triggered by "cause" "Signal".
Here is an example of a filter that will allow an event to send an email but not if the event is caused by signal loss to the camera.

Hope it helps you.
zd59

Post by zd59 »

Thank you Rockedge!

I already setup ZM to delete lowres events older than hour.

Thought about feature "ignore Signal lost" - do not even trigger events. This would prevent unneeded server load, recordings..
I would name this pre event filter - before recording occur.
Looks like this is not possible - so every abnormality (detected movement AND signal) is recorded, and post event filter clears unneeded.

To summarise above:
ZM have post event filter, but no pre event filter. Am I right?
The other question - modect, but do not record. Is not possible. Have to delete recordings also by filter?

So with one camera and lowres stream modect, hires stream nodect, linked to lowres, at every event the recordings occur concurrently on lowres & hires
streams. This is unnecessary and creates hi server overload. Maybe developers could consider to add feature "select recording source from the same camera - which stream".
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

You should be able to configure a small preclusive zone in an area where you would not expect there to be any normal motion activity.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
zd59

Post by zd59 »

Thank you Knniggett!

But the origin of my question is in Zoneminder misbehavior - or my false understanding of monitor functions.
Explanation:
Camera have two streams. The low one (VGA quality) is in "modect" function, all works as expected, with more active and preclusive zonees.
The high stream (4M pix) is in "nodect" function. As I understand (and ZM manual describes), in this function NO events are triggered.
I set up to trigger high stream recordings by linking to low stream.
I expected the recordings on high stream will be ONLY the one triggered from low stream. But this is not truth. Added are all recordings of lost high streams.
So "nodect" function of a monitor is not literally "do not detect and record". Signal loss is always recorded.
The filter function have nothing to do with this.

And the other question was regrading "switch off recordings completely" on low stream, just send motion triggers to other monitor (in my case high stream from the same source of a video).

To clarify all this:
1. monitor A - low stream source is used for a motion detection only and forwarding it to other monitor - NO RECORDINGS
2. monitor B - high stream source is used for triggered recordings from monitor A ONLY. Stream loss errors on this stream are NOT RECORDED
3. I DO NOT WANT to delete unneeded recordings by filter function, I want to prevent them. So I want to minimise recordings and that way to reduce the server overloading.

My goal is having recorded only high stream, triggered from low stream motion detection with no high stream signal loss recordings. No low stream recordings & filter post deletion.

I read the similar questions without the adequate answers.

Regards!
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Unfortunately if I understand correctly what you want is not currently possible, not an invalid request but no one has developed it yet.
1. No current option that does motion detect on a camera and alarms another camera, linking works by putting both into alarm.
2. Not sure there is a way to stop signal loss alarms, kind of important to surveillance systems to know that camera has lost signal. Imagine your camera loses signal, never gets it back and your low res stream will continue trying to trigger the high res stream to record and you get nothing, well just the low res recording. In this instance more attention should be paid to why you are losing signal, as one day you will need the high res recording and it will be offline.
3. Filter is consequence of option 1 not existing.

What I would like would be a monitor that takes low res stream and high res stream, performs motion detection on the low res and buffers the high res ready for recording. So pretty much the same thing as you, but I am probably going to have to develop this myself, and day job has me busy.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
zd59

Post by zd59 »

Thank you SteveGilvarry

I expected this kind of advice.

Greetings