PTZ Orbit AF

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
JTheDoc

PTZ Orbit AF

Post by JTheDoc »

I'm attempting to get PTZ to work correctly with Zoneminder, I have found several posts of people requesting this feature, and whilst some do satisfy the ability to do so in very old versions of Zoneminder, it does not work correctly in the new versions as PTZ control has been implemented differently. I have followed all instructions to get this working, and so have several other users who have found the same issue.

The posts I have found include outdated .pm files, and most that link to posts for suggestions appear to be broken links.

viewtopic.php?t=9788 - Original .pm
viewtopic.php?t=15514 -Modified .pm from link above
viewtopic.php?t=24317 - Mentions removing ZoneMinder::debug which in my experience allows the script to run, but causes the whole zoneminder server to hang for a few seconds and return the error on a prompt on the webpage "Control response was status = undefined message = /usr/bin/zmcontrol.pl --command=presetHome --id=1=>"
And in the logs displays "Can't connect: No such file or directory after 11 attempts to /var/run/zm/zmcontrol-1.sock zmcontrol.pl" and the rest of the errors are related to the hang causes timeouts connecting to all my cameras.

It also causes the error "getStreamCmdResponse stream error: Socket does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information. - checkStreamForErrors()" but I'll assume that's due to the hang as I have CGI enabled, and the paths correct and checked multiple times. Especially seeing as I have the ability to view the streams without issue.

Running the pm file with perl through the terminal returns: "Too late to run INIT block at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/ConfigData.pm line 70." Not entirely sure what that means...

If there's any information required, PLEASE ask as I am not sure what will be needed and mentioned to find a simple solution. Please be patient, I do reply quick. :)

Looking at the pm file, I can see all the settings for uvcdynctrl are correct, and are being sent to video0 with the correct permissions.
With everyone stating the file works correctly in the past, but only the last few latest posts saying zoneminder no longer works, I was hoping there would be a simple modification that could be made to have it work correctly again.

If not possible, is there some way to have a pm file control uvcdynctrl the same way I can through the terminal, and have the limits set within the control portion of zoneminder? I have no experience with perl so I cannot see syntax errors that may be there, or understand how zoneminder has changed. I'm sure it's simple as the commands all remain the same. Is there some way of editing an existing pm file that uses uvcdynctrl, and just replace the commands with the appropriate commands?

It's been an issue I've tried figuring out for over a year, and there's plenty of people looking online for ways for their surveillance systems to control their orbit AF/MP cameras. In fact, it's what made me find zoneminder, like a few people have. It's an incredibly inexpensive, very high quality camera that has lasted OUTDOORS (when weatherproofed with glue) and running scripts that look around at least 30 times a day. I have 3, and none of them have broken, and have excellent clarity with it's optical focus, and low light capability. Plus I've modified it for IF, and have an IF light to vastly improve this. It's not a waste of time getting this camera to work, and despite my very hard efforts of getting this to work with PTZ within zoneminder, I have had no luck, and don't wish to bug a community that is trying hard to get zoneminder working as great as possible, without being distracted by £30 cameras that aren't dedicated CCTV cams. Hundreds sell a month on ebay, and their reviews are almost entirely CCTV based now.
I have been using zoneminder for over a year, on my virtual machine and it's been perfect, especially performance. With the few odd bits here and there getting to grips with linux and zoneminder itself.
You can't deny there's a few posts asking for this feature to be better implemented, especially seeing as a large proportion of USB cameras use uvcdynctrl. It may be slow, and temperamental, but it does exactly what people need for their inexpensive usb cameras. Which is what Zoneminder was praised for supporting.
Thanks you, and sorry, I don't mean to bug, I just can't crack it any longer, and I'm hoping that the lack of information online won't deter further users as this post will be found as a solution and benefit if they so wish to do the same. :D
JTheDoc

Re: PTZ Orbit AF

Post by JTheDoc »

Even if someone could just point a finger in the right direction for me so I can figure this out for myself... Surely as this has been requested before, people would like to see how to fix the old suggestions?