reverting after increasing "EVENT_IMAGE_DIGITS"

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
hosts6502

reverting after increasing "EVENT_IMAGE_DIGITS"

Post by hosts6502 »

Hi, wishing to provision for the ability to record a long, high frame rate event, I increased ZM_EVENT_IMAGE_DIGITS at a time when I thought it unlikely there would be any historical footage that would need to be reviewed (the warning was quite clear and helpful; "Warning, increasing this value on a live system may render existing events unviewable as the event will have been saved with the previous scheme. Decreasing this value should have no ill effects.") so we held off until a time when we didn't think we'd need to review any footage.

Naturally, almost immediately after I did this I we became aware of an event that would have been captured in the history that would need reviewing :)

I'm sure I can dig through the filesystem and manually find the event by looking through image files, however will reverting ZM_EVENT_IMAGE_DIGITS back to the original smaller number allow those events to be reviewed again?

I have a little over 3TB of images stored right now, will this operation have significant processing time?
hosts6502

Re: reverting after increasing "EVENT_IMAGE_DIGITS"

Post by hosts6502 »

Hi, just to help someone stuck in the same boat in the future, I can confirm just renaming the capture.jpg's to use the same number of event image digits will restore the functionality; i.e. under Ubuntu:

cd /var/cache/zoneminder/events/<pathtocapturedirectory>
sudo mmv '0000*.jpg' '000#1.jpg'

this was adequate in my situation to rename a couple directories and find what we were looking for.

I'm surprised that zoneminder doesn't do this automatically when event_image_digits is changed.