Testing Results - Camera Orientation and Zones

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Pedulla

Testing Results - Camera Orientation and Zones

Post by Pedulla »

I've got a 1.28.1, 1.30.0 and 1.32.2 running and made the following observations while testing/upgrading and comparing. Ubuntu 16.04 Server.
These observations are with Hikvision IP cameras of various models using ffmpeg source type.

Starting in 1.30.0 it seams zm is auto recognizing the orientation and dimension assignments of a camera source even on cameras that were already setup. Cams that were configured and working in portrait mode on 1.28.1 were no
the motion zone does not follow
1.28.1 source.source.orientation change orientation - motion zone follows source orientation change but image suffers from aspect distorted untill you flip the x,y dimensions.
1.30.0 source.source.orientation change orientation - motion zone does NOT follow source orientation change and image does NOT suffer from aspect distortion. motion zones are now outside actual image and errors in the log insue:
Zone 6/HW-Bottom for monitor Hall-West-LowRes extends outside of image dimensions, (0,81), (351,239), ignoring
1.30.2 same behavior as 1.30.0

Also the source.source tab in 1.30.0 is in Dutch. Google translate keeps popping up wanting to translate to English.

Let me know if you need other info.
Last edited by Pedulla on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pedulla

Re: Testing Results - Camera Orientation and Zones

Post by Pedulla »

Also note, upgrading from 1.28.1 to 1.30.0 will require you adjust all your zones as any that were setup on sources not in "normal" orientation will likely be out of bounds and modetect will not work.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

We are looking for others to duplicate this, especially from an environment different than the OP.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I fixed a lot of stuff relating to Orientation. I think you will simply need to fix your zones. I vaguely recall thinking that automatically updating the zones was going to be too difficult... I don't remember why though. Seems like it should be trivial...
Pedulla

Post by Pedulla »

Agreed, it is trivial. How often do you change orientation once the build is up.... Easily addressed at that time.

Just advise anyone UPGRADING to 1.30 that you check ALL zones to make sure they are in bounds or modetect does not work.

-Solved
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

We've discussed this internally, and what we tentatively plan to do is:
1) When updateing from versions older than 1.28.x (iconnor to verify version) have zmupdate produce a warning which states to verify your motion zones. Trouble is this will be easy to miss.
2) If the end user changes the orientation from the monitor config screen, when the monitor is saved, rotate the zones accordingly.

We generally know what needs to be done, but finding the time to sit down and write the changes is another story.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/