Does it work on Mint?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
abrogard

Does it work on Mint?

Post by abrogard »

Hi, I have Linux Mint and I'm looking for webcam software. It is not clear to me if yours works only on Debian or would also work on Mint?
DVB Hardware

Re: Does it work on Mint?

Post by DVB Hardware »

Sure it does, i am running it on 16 - 17- 18 versions
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon Mariadb 10.6.x using Master 1.37.x latest always

DVB stands for Digital VIdeo Broadcasting , retired satellite downlink supplier
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

okay, thanks, I'll download it and try.. using cheese right now which works (very slow frame rate, don't know if that's the fault of my camera or my computer or cheese - or Mint ) but doesn't have many features... I'd love to be able to monitor my iP cams, had ISPY and it didn't go too well. :)
nosemind

Post by nosemind »

abrogard wrote:Hi, I have Linux Mint and I'm looking for webcam software. It is not clear to me if yours works only on Debian or would also work on Mint?
I'm on Mint 18 and I just followed the official guide's instructions for Ubuntu 16.04. And it works.
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

Well that's good but now how do I get it? I go to zoneminder site and now I know which ver to get but when I click on that one I go to a site that seems to only offer a debian distro with zoneminder included...

I can't get software manager her in Mint to find it... is there some way I can?

Or has someone a link where I can get it..
nosemind

Post by nosemind »

abrogard wrote:Well that's good but now how do I get it? I go to zoneminder site and now I know which ver to get but when I click on that one I go to a site that seems to only offer a debian distro with zoneminder included...

I can't get software manager her in Mint to find it... is there some way I can?

Or has someone a link where I can get it..
what do you mean you can't get software manager?
I got zoneminder through Synaptic.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

abrogard

Post by abrogard »

I meant when i get Mint Software manager up it doesn't seem to be able to look around and find Zoneminder.

So I found myself at packages.debian.org and I tried to download/install Synaptic - a download manager, I think, right? - and Zoneminder.

Some package installer popped up and apparently tried to install each of them as I presented them and for each one failed on the same kind of error: Dependency not satisified. For Synaptic is was libgnutls30 (>=3:5:0) and for Zoneminder it was libavcodec57 (>=7:3.0)

Anyone got any help on that?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

abrogard wrote:I meant when i get Mint Software manager up it doesn't seem to be able to look around and find Zoneminder.

So I found myself at packages.debian.org and I tried to download/install Synaptic - a download manager, I think, right? - and Zoneminder.

Some package installer popped up and apparently tried to install each of them as I presented them and for each one failed on the same kind of error: Dependency not satisified. For Synaptic is was libgnutls30 (>=3:5:0) and for Zoneminder it was libavcodec57 (>=7:3.0)

Anyone got any help on that?
Don't use a package installer. Use a terminal and the install instructions from the WIKI for your version of Ubuntu/Mint. Very easy to copy the input from the web page and paste into the terminal window (that is how I do it and I've written most of the Ubuntu instructions!).

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

Use a terminal means use the SUDO cmd line I guess? I did that. With two things. first one went alright, zoneminder appeared to go alright but hasn't in fact turned up. It's not there. (the first one was simply Opera browser, it installed fine).

I just issue sudo apt install zoneminder or something as simple as that and it set off doing it happily and completed happily, apparently, but its not there.

I'll follow your Wiki suggestion.

But is there someway I could/should undo all the previous work first ? The failed package installer? My failed sudo install?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

abrogard wrote:Use a terminal means use the SUDO cmd line I guess? I did that. With two things. first one went alright, zoneminder appeared to go alright but hasn't in fact turned up. It's not there. (the first one was simply Opera browser, it installed fine).

I just issue sudo apt install zoneminder or something as simple as that and it set off doing it happily and completed happily, apparently, but its not there.

I'll follow your Wiki suggestion.

But is there someway I could/should undo all the previous work first ? The failed package installer? My failed sudo install?
If you are expecting an icon to show up on your desktop for Zoneminder, it won't. You access Zoneminder via a web browser.

As for "fixing" your prior attempts... reinstall Ubuntu/Mint on your PC is the best bet. Or, follow the WIKI instructions from start even if you have already done the step. Don't skip anything and when you are done Zoneminder should work.
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

thanks for that. i was expecting an icon.. something after the style of cheese or 'yawcam' (i use on windows). when i get back to that machine i'll look again, maybe it is there after all... access from a browser? like what page? how? maybe i'll find out...

Edit: I think I found out. https://www.howtoforge.com/video_survei ... der_ubuntu

I installed apache and now I get the default apache2 web page at localhost.

localhost/zm does me no good - file not found. Do I maybe need to reinstall zm?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

abrogard wrote:thanks for that. i was expecting an icon.. something after the style of cheese or 'yawcam' (i use on windows). when i get back to that machine i'll look again, maybe it is there after all... access from a browser? like what page? how? maybe i'll find out...

Edit: I think I found out. https://www.howtoforge.com/video_survei ... der_ubuntu

I installed apache and now I get the default apache2 web page at localhost.

localhost/zm does me no good - file not found. Do I maybe need to reinstall zm?
I say, or write again... you need to follow the instructions on the WIKI or Read The Docs "official" documentation site:
http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu

If you did not install LAMP you need to add tasksel (apt-get install tasksel) then run tasksel and choose LAMP. Yes, you can add all the bits to get Zoneminder to work but why reinvent the wheel when we have done all that for you and have tried to make it easy?
abrogard

Post by abrogard »

Sorry, i have charged off down the wrong track again looks like ...... I'm always doing that. If I would just slow down I'd go better.... Okay. I'll go back and start following the wiki..

:)
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

If you are using Mint 18 you can use the shell script I created to install Zoneminder. Yes, you will still have to do some input when prompted by the script but it should be easier than the command line method.

See: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... ell_script