Blank screen in Firefox after 1.30 install

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
xeddog

Blank screen in Firefox after 1.30 install

Post by xeddog »

I have been trying to get 1.30 installed onto my Ubuntu 16.04 desktop system all day. It's been one problem after another, and I'll have to admit that many were self inflicted. But this (hopefully) last one I have been over and over and can't find the reason.

I started with a machine that did not have any database server installed, or even apache. So I started with installing Mariadb 10.0 and apache2 from the repos. Then using the guides, I edited the apache ini file. The only database config that needed updating was only for mysql 5.7, so I did not do that one. PHP7 was installed by default, so I only had to add the timezone to the php ini file. I then added the ppa, etc., and tried installing zoneminder. Tried because the install failed near the end with a userid issue. It took me a while to find that one, but it was simply I did not see the step to add access rights to the zm user. Once that was done, the install finished. I completed all the remaining steps and it all looked ok, but from Firefox all I get is a blank page.

Any help is appreciated.

Wayne
knight-of-ni

Re: Blank screen in Firefox after 1.30 install

Post by knight-of-ni »

If you are saying you don't see the web console at all, as opposed to you just don't see a video stream, then you should look in your apache log files for clues. Without presenting data, no one is going to know what the problem may be.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
xeddog

Post by xeddog »

OK, I found it. After launching Firefox, if I enter the URL as "localhost/zm", I get a completely blank page in return. If I enter "10.1.1.37/zm" (my actual ip address) it works properly and I get the web console.

Sheez.

Wayne
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Sounds like your hosts file is missing a localhost entry and/or you are missing your loopback adapter.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
xeddog

Post by xeddog »

After I found that using the ip address worked, I checked the hosts file and it is correct. it has entries for
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 (real host name)
all the rest of the entries

I have two other machines running the same version of linux (Ubuntu 16.04 desktop) with the hosts file like this, and I use localhost addressing in urls all the time. But the one difference is I use port numbers like "localhost:8080".
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

You need to follow the WIKI instructions for Ubuntu 16.04 server with zm 1.30.0. Yes, even with a desktop use the server install procedure!
Bb