Port Forward

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
ov10fac

Port Forward

Post by ov10fac »

I need to port forward my zoneminder so I can access it externally. I know how to do it on my router/firewall, but I can't port forward port 80 as the router uses this port for admin purposes.

I am running Fedora 24 server with zoneminder 1.30. It really works great and from inside the firewall I have no problems at all. So now I need to port forward using a port like 8181. Years ago I did port forwarding using port based virtualhost in Apache. But thats been a while, and it seems the newer versions of Apache use name based forwarding.

So, bottom line, is there any guidance on how to set up apache to port forward zoneminder.

Thanks.
mikb

Re: Port Forward

Post by mikb »

If you can't forward port 80, so that the outside world can see your ZM on port 80, then forward another port.

Although your router sounds a bit dim for hijacking port 80 for it's own use. No offence :)

Try: External IP address: Port 1234, forwarded to internal IP address of ZM machine: Port 80 ?

Assuming your router is bright enough to allow forwarding to a new port number, mine does.

If not, then you will need to edit your Apache config to work on a port other than 80, e.g. port 81/88/1234. Which will also affect local access (inside your network) to your webserver, meaning you'll need to use http://localmachine:81 to access it ...
mikb

Post by mikb »

Just to add: My router, if I approach port 80 from the LAN side (internal) gives an admin page. If I approach it from the WAN side (external), port 80 gives nothing -- to stop people fiddling with the router! I turned off WAN access.

Additionally, it can still forward port 80 (external) to a different machine internally. Don't assume that just because port 80 is "the admin interface" that port 80 from the WAN side is not forwardable. Test with caution :)
ov10fac

Post by ov10fac »

My router can pass port 80 no problems. The problem is trying to get to the /zm directory. When I am outside my router and try http://49.23.56.1:8080/zm things go wrong. I have some ideas including virtual hosts on apache.