ZoneMinder Philosophy

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
nobodywashere

ZoneMinder Philosophy

Post by nobodywashere »

Good Morning ZoneMinder Community,

I'm using feature-h264-storage branch, because I would like to record audio. But I understand that this feature is still being developed. What are your intentions for the future? Is this branch being developed further and merged to master? Or is this not a priority?

Thanks for your relpy and thanks for your great work! :)

Best,
Patrick
SteveGilvarry

Re: ZoneMinder Philosophy

Post by SteveGilvarry »

My vote to merge it post the next release, I think we agreed on this as a team. Still some things to fix, but getting them to master will help focus on them. Main issue with audio is mp4 only accepts AAC and not many cameras are outputting it. But MP4 is the only option that works with all browsers today. So need to work on some audio transcoding. Some other ideas floating around for changes that recording video might need, including stopping decode if not needed. And where we trigger events from and how that works.

Of course time is the big factor, no full time developers, so we have to fit things in around life. Also check iconnors storageareas branch as that has some nice stuff that will probably come in at the same time.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Please see the release notes for our latest Release Candidate for a note about what is to come:
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/releases

It is intentionally vague because we haven't made any firm decisions yet, but I did have the h264 branch in mind when I wrote that statement.

There is no shortage of people requesting what our priorities are and/or should be. I don't know of anyone who doesn't want the ability to record directly to video container, for example. We all want that. However, there is a huge shortage of people willing to do real work on the project, and that, more than anything else, is why our progress is slower than we all want it to be.

The main person responsible for the h264 feature has told us that money is not his primary motivation. What that means to the rest of us is that someone (anyone) else can claim the bounty if they can get involved and get this feature in a working state:
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/issues/39

We've even gone so far as to hire someone to do the work:
https://weworkremotely.com/jobs/4278-cp ... ffmpeg-and

This, by the way, is where the money donated to the project goes (in addition to pay for server hosting overhead). We've had some individuals come into our forum and imply we take that donated money to pay ourselves for simply being part of the project. That isn't the case at all. I've never been paid, nor do I expect to be paid, just for being on the team.

I know you didn't ask for that, but others read this thread too so I thought I'd put the whole story out there.

TL;DR: We need additional people willing to work on the project.

UPDATE: Steve ninja'd my reply. See his reply for much more details regarding what exactly in the h264 branch needs to be worked on.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Guys,
Please keep in mind that in some areas it is illegal to record audio without posted notification. Pennsylvania, USA for one. Any audio add in should be disabled by default.

bb
nobodywashere

Post by nobodywashere »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I'm looking forward to the next release :-) And will have a look at iconners storageareas branch.

@ thatguy: I liked the title, although inaccurate :-)

Best regards and again thank you for your work.
Patrick
pgrunwald

Post by pgrunwald »

Are there guidelines for scripting (i.e. must use perl), coding (must lint, use xyz gcc flags), and regression testing (must test on fedora x, unbuntu y, and deb z)?
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

bbunge wrote:Guys,
Please keep in mind that in some areas it is illegal to record audio without posted notification. Pennsylvania, USA for one. Any audio add in should be disabled by default.

bb
It's users responsability to be aware of their local laws, don´t you think? ;)

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
JoPitts

Post by JoPitts »

All, as a brand new user first let me say - the install of ZM on a raspberry pi was a breeze!! The wiki article was awesome.

Secondly - I can't wait for Audio recording. For my use case (which may differ from most), I don't need it passed through to the browser in real time - I just need it recorded for later analysis.

Happy to help out with some testing if that would be useful.

Cheers
Jo