High disk utilization

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Waylorn

High disk utilization

Post by Waylorn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I am recording 20 cameras 24x7. 15 1280x720 and 5x 1080p. I have a mdadm raid 5 with 9tb I want to put on rotation and continuous record all the cameras. The system seems to be running ok but the disk is at 74%. Is there anything I can do to lower this besides dropping the resolution? I am at 5 fps on all the cameras using h264/ffmpeg.

bbunge

Re: High disk utilization

Post by bbunge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 am

32 bit color may help a bit.
Yes, lower resolution will help.
You should be OK with the 74% give or take drive space. Just check the database resources (mysqltuner) to see if you need to allocate more innodb_buffer_pool_size. Might be good to put the database on another drive. Set up a drive purge based on days and adjust the days till your RAID gets up to about 90% (purge based on days will run at midnight). Do not depend on the purge when full of 95% to keep the system running because with 20 cameras running you could add events faster than a percent purge can remove them.

If you really do not need the cameras recording all day you can set up a cron job to switch between modect and record or mocord.

Waylorn

Post by Waylorn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:44 pm

I have that filter configured and I am going to let it run over the weekend. One thing that seems to be going on is that Zoneminder is seeing the disk size of the / disk. Not the raid array mounted as /videos. How can I get the website to see the full size of my array?

bbunge

Post by bbunge » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:08 am

Are you using the systemd mount? If not i recommend you set it up again to use systemd. Instructions in the Zoneminder Ubuntu WIKI.