Best Camera to use?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
jimkoh

Best Camera to use?

Post by jimkoh »

I have ZoneMinder 1.29 set up on my Debian server. I have never been able to get a picture with the camera's I currently have, but they stream to VLC without a problem. I'm looking at replacing my existing Jennov camera's with something that works. I know there are a lot of camera's that people have made work, but I want to know which brand/model to get that will work without all kinds of workarounds. I'm looking for a 3-4 mp camera and don't want to spend several hundred dollars on each one as I'm going to be installing 8 total. POE camera's are preferred.
Thanks

Jim
bbunge

Re: Best Camera to use?

Post by bbunge »

If your cameras stream to VLC they will work in Zoneminder. Use the same stream in ffmpeg and the same resolution VLC reports.
jimkoh

Post by jimkoh »

I know it should work that way...but here's the link to my other post describing the problem. So far nothing has worked, which is why I was asking about new camera's. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26748
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Looks like it is a Dahua knock off. See: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dahua

rtsp://admin:admin@192.168.1.100:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0 - should be the Source Path string as well as the string to use in VLC. Get it working in VLC and check resolution reported.
Camera resolution in Zoneminder does not match camera output. Use VLC (Tools, Media Information, Codec) to check camera Display Resolution.
jimkoh

Post by jimkoh »

I tried the settings you mentioned as well as the info from the wiki. The best I get is a black screen in IE. I've attached a screen shot of the codec information from VLC
Attachments
Screenshot_20180302_101828.png
Screenshot_20180302_101828.png (101.81 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Use a browser other than IE. IE needs Java installed and the cambozola in zm.
jimkoh

Post by jimkoh »

I've tried Firefox, Chromium and Konqueror. None of them show video. The reason I tried IE is because the native camera software will only work with that due to Flash/SWF, and I thought if I could at least get video in IE then I could troubleshoot the others.