Zoneminder on Windows 10?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
sgharp

Zoneminder on Windows 10?

Post by sgharp »

I know this sounds insane and it makes me sick just thinking about it. Has anyone tried to run Zoneminder on Windows?

I have a customer that wants a surveillance system but she is adamantly opposed to anything non-Windows. The word Linux just pisses her off. She's currently wasting time with Axis Camera Station and complaining about how hard it is to learn and use. I'd like to setup Zoneminder for her but can't get her to even consider Linux or UNIX. I've already suggested psychiatric counseling and that piss her off also.

Is it possible to use Windows 10 as a host for Zoneminder?

Thanks to all....
alexchini

Re: Zoneminder on Windows 10?

Post by alexchini »

A workaround can be install an ubuntu server with Zoneminder in a virtual machine using VMware or Virtualbox. All the setting-management can be done from the web browser.
sgharp

Post by sgharp »

alexchini wrote:A workaround can be install an ubuntu server with Zoneminder in a virtual machine using VMware or Virtualbox. All the setting-management can be done from the web browser.
I've suggested this option even though Windows wouldn't be a stellar host OS for a VM. She shot it down because she'd still be running Linux. She claims that she wants to stay "mainstream" and, to her, that means only Windows. I don't think she accepts the fact that Windows is ONLY dominate on the desktop.
asker

Post by asker »

In that case, the answer is No.

Zoneminder does not have a windows port today and the work involved is non-trivial. You could experiment with things like coLinux, WineHQ etc to see how far they go, but they all involve running small or large fragments of linux on windows.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Maybe a demo of a working Zoneminder system is in order. An easy way to do it is from the live Lubuntu setup that has Zoneminder preconfigured. Run it from a USB stick and you can save your settings. With the 32 bit versions you can boot just about any PC.

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Lubuntu_16. ... _CD_or_USB

Your customer may not like the idea of a command line server to manage. The Lubuntu desktop setup may be the ticket to your success!

bb