socket_sendto errors when viewing feeds

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
jasauders

socket_sendto errors when viewing feeds

Post by jasauders »

Hi friends. When viewing feeds in montage view, I noticed errors populating in my log. I did some digging, but what was suggested constantly was the ZM_PATH, which was correct all along.

I'm also seeing a common trend in nearly every other scenario I read about -- the users cannot view the live stream. I have no issue viewing the live stream. Those feeds work. The system overall seems to function fine. It's just considering the errors that has me digging.

My PATH_ZMS is: /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms

My /etc/apache2/conf-available/zoneminder.conf is:

Code: Select all

administrator@vault:/etc/apache2/conf-available$ cat zoneminder.conf 
# Remember to enable cgi mod (i.e. "a2enmod cgi").
ScriptAlias /zm/cgi-bin "/usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin"
#ScriptAlias /zoneminder/cgi-bin "/usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin"
<Directory "/usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin">
    Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted
</Directory>

Alias /zm /usr/share/zoneminder/www
<Directory /usr/share/zoneminder/www>
  php_flag register_globals off
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  <IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.php
  </IfModule>
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api>
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>
The error I am getting is a series of these:

2016-03-29 00:05:20.113434	web_php		2135	ERR	socket_sendto( /var/run/zm/zms-542257s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory	/usr/share/zoneminder/www/includes/functions.php	2371
I hate to ask here but given my PATH_ZMS is seemingly correct (unless I goofed?) I'm having difficulty finding other troubleshooting ideas.

Worthy notes:
1) Ubuntu Server 14.04
2) It seems to largely take place when I have montage live view open on one of my systems.
3) The only configuration I changed lately was switching the mocord functionality to record for all cameras. It's possible that I was getting the error before and did not notice it, but nonetheless, here I am.
4) A reminder that live does DOES work.

Any ideas?
janw

Re: socket_sendto errors when viewing feeds

Post by janw »

Hey jasauders, I was just about to open a thread on this problem for my own. I have the exact same problem!

I may have the answer to your question, though. But we still need a solution. I am receiving tons of

socket_sendto( /var/run/zm/zms-*********.sock ) failed: No such file or directory
after I activated email notifications. My problem is, that I do not receive any mails. The system is able to send mails via nullmailer.

I, too, have Ubuntu Server 14, ZM 1.29, my PATH_ZMS is set to /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms correctly. Live Feed works, recording works, just email notifications throw these errors and are not sent... :x

I hope someone can help.

Regards,
jan
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

May be a simple fix.
Close all browsers viewing ZM. Montage and console!
Restart ZM on the server or the entire server
jasauders

Post by jasauders »

I did restart the server last night. Even still, when opening montage and viewing for a bit it at times populates these errors.

I'm not *seeing* an actual problem. If it wasn't for the logs saying these errors I would have no idea there is an error of any sort, given everything is seemingly working just fine. I find it a bit strange that when I Googled about it, everybody I read about could *not* see the live feeds with these logs. I have similar logs, yet I have no issues viewing the live feed.

Hmm...
janw

Post by janw »

@jasauders: Do you have any filters with email notification activated? Try disabling them. See if error still occurs.

@bbunge: I did several restarts yesterday. I am still getting the error messages. Meanwhile, ZM actually tried to send 1 mail which went to the nullmailer queue. However, it did not get sent because nullmailer tries to send it with "root@localhost" (which my SMTP host does not allow), allthough I entered the correct sender address in ZM config.
jasauders

Post by jasauders »

I have no email notification set up. I did have zones set up on 2 of the 4 cameras as I previously ran with mocord.

As of last night, I switched mocord to regular "record" mode for all cameras. I wonder if that's related?
ixos

Post by ixos »

I've had this same problem since I installed 1.29 after a recent server rebuild. Did you guys install from packages or from source? I used the ubuntu packages myself, but am really considering rebuilding it from source sometime today.
ixos

Post by ixos »

Going to add that I read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24407 and saw the option to deselect CHECK_FOR_UPDATES. I did this and I'm no longer seeing the socket_sendto errors in my logs after restarting the server.

And as a bonus, all my feeds are working again.
jasauders

Post by jasauders »

ixos wrote:Going to add that I read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24407 and saw the option to deselect CHECK_FOR_UPDATES. I did this and I'm no longer seeing the socket_sendto errors in my logs after restarting the server.

And as a bonus, all my feeds are working again.
How on earth would disabling ZM from checking for updates suppress a socket_sendto error?

I'll have to try this out when I get back to my ZM box, but I'm not seeing the connection...
janw

Post by janw »

ixos wrote:I've had this same problem since I installed 1.29 after a recent server rebuild. Did you guys install from packages or from source? I used the ubuntu packages myself, but am really considering rebuilding it from source sometime today.
I installed using this official wiki entry: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
One should think that this would result in a well-working system.
ixos

Post by ixos »

Apparently I spoke too soon. They weren't popping up after I made the change.

They're back.

I apologize for the false hopes there.
jasauders

Post by jasauders »

FWIW, I disabled ZM's check for updates. Socket errors came back after a bit.
janw

Post by janw »

I have CHECK_FOR_UPDATES unchecked since the installation, just as I was being told in the wiki.

Getting socket_sendto errors all the time, when an event happens:
jasauders

Post by jasauders »

For what it's worth, last night I received two new cameras - Hikvision 3mpx cubes, which replaced the Foscam cameras.

Even still when viewing these cameras (not in montage, but even on a singular basis with just one monitor streaming) I see very similar logs populating.

This to me suggests it may not be a camera specific thing, as originally I was only really getting these errors on the older of the two Foscams I just removed.

That said, I'm not seeing any actual *problems*. I mean, they're still recording, I'm still able to view them, and I see no visible issues otherwise. So for the time being, I'm just going to assume the error is nothing critical.