Zoneminder on a "stick"

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
bbunge

Zoneminder on a "stick"

Post by bbunge »

Lubuntu 14.04-4 with Zoneminder 1.29.0 pre-configured! Run from a DVD or a USB "thumb drive" and install to your hard drive!

Currently this will boot to a BIOS or Legacy boot PC. I am working on a UEFI version.

You can get the .iso's right now via Torrent or direct download.

Here are the torrent files:
Zoneminder-USB-64.torrent
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
For 64 BIT system
Zoneminder-USB-32.torrent
(32.67 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
For 32 BIT system

Direct download: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... c3a3M#list

Readme.txt file with instructions/information included.

bb
Last edited by bbunge on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
asker

Re: Zoneminder on a "stick"

Post by asker »

this rocks! very interested - keep us updated!
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

More info...testing done...now to upload on my slow DSL to share with the world...

There is a 32 BIT and a 64 BIT version of the system.

You can burn the files to DVD, start a PC from the DVD and run/install the system.

You can also make a bootable USB. I recommend using Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.github.io/). This is what I used to
make a bootable USB. Other programs may work but have not been tested.

When you boot the system Lubuntu will open to a log in page. For the user enter "ubuntu" and leave the password blank.
You must log into Lubuntu to run the installer!

Apache, MySQL and Zoneminder will run on startup.

To access Zoneminder open Firefox and enter http://localhost/zm
You can also access Zoneminder from another PC using the IP-Address of the system: http://IP-Address/zm

Zoneminder is configured with one monitor set to a public camera and, if the system has internet access, should be viewable. You may reconfigure this camera to one of your own.

This system contains an installer which you can use to install this fully functioning Lubuntu/Zoneminder system to your hard drive. When installed to your hard drive you can access Zoneminder using Firefox or a web browser from another PC.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I've created a WIKI page for this project. I will post updated instructions there.

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Lubuntu_14. ... _CD_or_USB

bb
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

Great project, I don't need ZM on a stick atm but I've decided to download the torrent and let it seed to help the project get off the ground.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I am looking forward to testing out the ISO. I have also built 2 types of ZoneMinder on a Stick.One version ISO is 451megs and the 2nd version ISO is 644 megs. Both versions are based on Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.5 and one runs ZoneMinder 1.29.0 the other 1.28.109. Included on the ISO is inadyn for dynamic DNS updating and a PYTHON driver for a CM19a USB X10 transceiver and some scripts to trigger ZM events via remote X10 motion detectors. Both systems will run in about 250 megs of RAM. ZoneMinder has all the bells and whistles and the email functions work using both the old and new methods.
One is based on the latest XAMPP and is built from source and the other is a very similar to UBUNTU install, using the Puppy Package Manager for easy future upgrades of ZoneMinder.

Both versions have been tested as USB Flash Drive installs or run from CD/DVD, the systems can load the OS and run completely in RAM. Event export and video generation functions both work well.
I also have a third version that uses the Hiawatha web server instead of Apache. Also Works very well.
installation of either ISO are the same methods as installing any Puppy Linux distro to USB drive, SD card, HHD or CD/DVD.

This ISO looks promising for its size and compatibility to the UBUNTU and the easy ways of upgrading ZM in the future.
asker

Post by asker »

I am yet to try, but will go down the route soon.

Questions:

1. How many cameras can a stick manage, assuming we set them to 1280x960 @ 32b @ 5fps ?
2. I assume it will boot and start working whether I plug into a mac or a windows machine?
3. How easy/hard is it to map an external drive for event storage? For example, lets say the USB stick writes events to the host computer disk
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

asker wrote:I am yet to try, but will go down the route soon.

Questions:

1. How many cameras can a stick manage, assuming we set them to 1280x960 @ 32b @ 5fps ?

I've had three cameras working on a USB drive with a 2048 meg persistence file, 64 bit OS 2 GIG RAM. Fills up images quickly in mocord.

2. I assume it will boot and start working whether I plug into a mac or a windows machine?

Sorry but is for a DOS/Windows based PC. Do not have the ability to do for Mac. I do have a Mac, though...

3. How easy/hard is it to map an external drive for event storage? For example, lets say the USB stick writes events to the host computer disk
You should be able to follow the WIKI instructions for mapping an external drive. However, it would be just as easy to use the ZM on a stick (or DVD) to install the system to a hard drive. The setup has a fully functional Lubuntu install which will put ZM and LAMP over to a hard drive with a Lubuntu desktop. You will have to do updates from a command prompt as the Lubuntu is a minimal install with Firefox.
river100

Post by river100 »

Nice, thanks bbunge,

the last ZM ver I installed was 1.28 about a year ago
I did an install from a DVD on an older Optiplex E8400 4GB ram and an SSD.
Used the 64 bit
Cameras tested are Dahua and Qrandstream in H264 / ffmpeg

the first 2 things I checked were the recorded alarm frame rate and event playback with mpeg streaming.
event playback, streaming mpeg, goes at a very fast rate just like ver 1.28.0, BUT recorded alarm frame rate
on this ver will do what the camera is set at. on my 1.28.0 builds when cam is set at say 15fps, I'd get 7.5 to 11 recorded fps.
This one spot on.

There is one issue I have never seen, on one monitor i have 14 events, 4 in one hour. event list shows all 4.
All 4 play when clicked. Only one shows in timeline view. And when I click on the day then get the timeline
all events show but I don't get a preview pic on some of them. again, all events play when selected from event list.

I am still playing with it, just installed last night.
again, thanks for this
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I have discovered a problem with the network not starting on some PC's. Fix in the WIKI:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Lubuntu_14. ... _CD_or_USB
river100

Post by river100 »

Yup had that too.
Techgtv

Post by Techgtv »

Hi, i've been trying to install this, but for some reason the username in the readme.txt is incorrect.

Am i overlooking something or is there a mistke in the text file?

::edit::

i remade the usb stick with rufus instead of unetbootin and everything works
Last edited by Techgtv on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
river100

Post by river100 »

For the live user name wiki says use ubuntu
If you're past that and installing, you pick it.
ubuntu with blank password worked for me.
xbuttcheeks420

Post by xbuttcheeks420 »

The OS that comes with this seems to be extremely stripped down. I need the settings program, but it doesn't exist. I can't connect my machine to the internet because of this (Ethernet is not an option) Am I missing something?

Edit: I didn't understand anything in the Wiki article related to internet. If anyone could guide me trough it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

You need to run these commands from a terminal. Don't know how to coach you more than these instructions...

Open a terminal - click on System Tools - XTerm from the Lubuntu menu.

From the WIKI:

Network: I have discovered that this version may not successfully detect the network card on startup from a live DVD or USB drive. The desktop will start, in time, and you can configure the network manually. Open a terminal - System Tools - XTerm and enter:

ifconfig -s -a

and you will see something like: enpos25

Open the interfaces file and change the enpxxx entries to match your setup

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Ctrl + o to save Ctrl + x to exit

Start the network

sudo ifup enpxxx? (enter your eth number)

If your install does not get the DNS servers via DHCP it is likely that a symbolic link is missing. You can set a static IP address with nameservers or create the symbolic link with this entry:

sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

You can also run the above command on the live installer DVD/USB to get DNS working.

Here is a link to info on Ubuntu Network settings: https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide ... ation.html