Lost all network cameras

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
bbunge

Re: Lost all network cameras

Post by bbunge »

OK, I've just rerun the procedure at:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
Ubuntu 15.10 Server (in vbox) LAMP, OpenSSH Server along with Basic Ubuntu Server.
Connected with Putty, then sudo su
Ran the above procedure by doing a copy/paste from the WIKI page to Putty except for the passwords and editing php.ini
Also unchecked CHECK_FOR_UPDATES and checked OPT_CONTROL
I was able to connect right into the ZM web page and configure a camera (Foscam FI9821W v2). For some reason the video stream did not show so I double checked the Path_ZMS and I had a space after /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms which made the difference! I remived the space at the end of /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms and I can see the video!!!

I have never seen this before but will add a caution to the instructions. Hope this helps...

bb
rip

Post by rip »

Oh man, I wanted this to be it so bad. Nope.

I installed 15.10 x64 from burned ISO, repartitioning and formatting the drive, so should be cometely cleaned. Loaded openssh and lamp with a KB and monitor plugged in, then went to SSH and did the install as su.

Did this 3 times now with identical results.

I need to take it apart and figure out *exactly* where and when the socket creation happens and fails. The only error I've found is the socket not being there, but nothing about the creation failing.

I have boxes of hds laying around, might revert to 14.04 and 1.28.1 as a sanity check, maybe a diff against some of it with 1.29 and see what changed.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Are you setting up the drive with LVM? Actually 14.04 will give you ZM 1.26.5. 15.10 will give you 1.28.1 if you do not add the PPA.

As long as you are having problems with Ubuntu may I recommend you try CentOS 7. I recently switched my production server to CentOS and I feel it runs a bit smoother than Ubuntu. There is a learning curve to get it to work but it is not too difficult. I used custom drive partitioning to avoid LVM and went with the XFS file system. You could just set up a minimal server with the defaults to try it.

bb
Jerubei

Post by Jerubei »

I've also lost access to all my cameras today and I can't replay any saved events. I was already using 1.29 from iconnor without a problem (Ubuntu 15.10 server, using http://ppa.launchpad.net/iconnor/zonemi ... ter/ubuntu wily main), but a new update popped up today, which I installed. The version is still 1.29.0 after the upgrade, but as I said, I no longer have access to either cameras or saved events.

I've followed the update guide, but nothing changed - folder permissions are fine, the db user has full access, zmupdate stated that the db is already 1.29 and there's no need to update, PATH_ZMS was already set to /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms (without any empty spaces after the path).

I think there's something wrong with the last update and not our systems. Will be grateful for any assistance, if you think I'm missing something.
rip

Post by rip »

bbunge wrote:Are you setting up the drive with LVM? Actually 14.04 will give you ZM 1.26.5. 15.10 will give you 1.28.1 if you do not add the PPA.

As long as you are having problems with Ubuntu may I recommend you try CentOS 7. I recently switched my production server to CentOS and I feel it runs a bit smoother than Ubuntu. There is a learning curve to get it to work but it is not too difficult. I used custom drive partitioning to avoid LVM and went with the XFS file system. You could just set up a minimal server with the defaults to try it.

bb
My initial tries were with LVM, then thought it might be an issue so went to custom partition with no LVM. I suspect it's permission or similar. I was reading g PHP documentation at lunchtime today, so going to try to turn on some explicit PHP script logging trying to capture socket_create and play with socket_last_error/socket_strerror and see if I can get some insight.

I use RHEL/CentOS at work, prefer Debian based.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Jerubei wrote:I've also lost access to all my cameras today and I can't replay any saved events. I was already using 1.29 from iconnor without a problem (Ubuntu 15.10 server, using http://ppa.launchpad.net/iconnor/zonemi ... ter/ubuntu wily main), but a new update popped up today, which I installed. The version is still 1.29.0 after the upgrade, but as I said, I no longer have access to either cameras or saved events.

I've followed the update guide, but nothing changed - folder permissions are fine, the db user has full access, zmupdate stated that the db is already 1.29 and there's no need to update, PATH_ZMS was already set to /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms (without any empty spaces after the path).

I think there's something wrong with the last update and not our systems. Will be grateful for any assistance, if you think I'm missing something.
You are using the PPA master. Expect some things to not work right.

Strongly suggest you go back to the "normal" PPA...

bb
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I have posted this on another forum thread but it may help some of you... See the caution in the last line below...

Open Zoneminder in a web browser (http://server-ip/zm).

Click on Options - Paths Change PATH_ZMS to /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms
(Caution: make sure you enter only /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms with no space at the end or your video will not work!)
Jerubei

Post by Jerubei »

bbunge wrote:
Jerubei wrote:I've also lost access to all my cameras today and I can't replay any saved events. I was already using 1.29 from iconnor without a problem (Ubuntu 15.10 server, using http://ppa.launchpad.net/iconnor/zonemi ... ter/ubuntu wily main), but a new update popped up today, which I installed. The version is still 1.29.0 after the upgrade, but as I said, I no longer have access to either cameras or saved events.

You are using the PPA master. Expect some things to not work right.

Strongly suggest you go back to the "normal" PPA...

bb
I should use Stable then? I suppose if I remove Master and add Stable, I would have to reinstall ZoneMinder? There's no way to preserve camera and system settings?

If your second post was a reply to mine, then yes, I've already set the proper path in PATH_ZMS, as I pointed out in my initial post (with no trailing spaces), but it's still not working... thanks for the suggestion :)
Jerubei

Post by Jerubei »

Just a quick update - running "sudo /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl -f" solved the problem.
rip

Post by rip »

Well, I threw in the towel on 1.29 for now.

I dropped the iconnor PPA, purged zoneminder, dropped the database, cleaned-out all the zomeminder files left behind (www directory structure, events, temp files) etc., and installed 1.28.1 from the docs:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way

Finished the config, started it up, immediately added an ARECONT AV3155DN [3MP] (one of several Areconts I have 1-5MP) and it simply worked.

I have no clear idea how or why 1.29 is broken after multiple attempts on IP cams. I really wanted to nail it down but have other things to do with my time, and I spent a lot on this. To clarify, local cams worked find on 1.29, but no IP.
Grundle

Post by Grundle »

I'm pretty sure I am having the same problem, but since this is my first set up, I have never gotten the cameras to work. Installed on fresh 15.10 VM from PPA, no luck. Installed from source, no luck. INstalled from source with ONVIF support to help make sure I got the camera setup right...also nothing. Going to do another fresh install on 1.28.1 to see if the cameras work with ZM at all. Let me know if there is something I can do to test.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Grundle wrote:I'm pretty sure I am having the same problem, but since this is my first set up, I have never gotten the cameras to work. Installed on fresh 15.10 VM from PPA, no luck. Installed from source, no luck. INstalled from source with ONVIF support to help make sure I got the camera setup right...also nothing. Going to do another fresh install on 1.28.1 to see if the cameras work with ZM at all. Let me know if there is something I can do to test.
Camera setup can be tough but most cameras will work with Zoneminder. I have an almost 20 year old Axis camera that is still churning out images at the rate of 1 FPS! On the same system a Vivotek running Libvlc, a bunch of Linksys on remote and some Foscams on remote and ffmpeg. And I also have a USB camera hooked up and working!

Sorry you two are experiencing problems. I have an image of a working system I can offer you if you want to download it. Am also working on Zoneminder on a stick (or CD). PM me off list if you are interested.

bb
zraith

Post by zraith »

I had the same issue with some MJPEG cameras not working after the update to 1.29 as well.

I have since upgrade to 1.30. The cameras still didn't work.

Eventually, through the debug logs I saw that my camera was closing the session, while zoneminder apparently expected to keep getting data.

This didn't make sense until I realized I had been giving a JPEG url instead of the MJPEG url. I guess that must have worked pre1.29.

Just thought I would post in case anyone else comes across this thread 20 times like I did.

Good Luck!