Inadvertant upgrade from 1.28 to 1.29 now socket_sendto issue

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
scdickey

Inadvertant upgrade from 1.28 to 1.29 now socket_sendto issue

Post by scdickey »

I hesitate to post this question because I feel I am missing something very basic...but after spending hours searching I am saying 'uncle' and asking for help...

My system was functional and had been running for a few months now with no issue. This morning I ran apt-get dist-upgrade and both apache and zoneminder were listed in the update options. I realized this too late and the update ran and broke zoneminder. I have since read the instructions on how to upgrade and believe I have completed all but one critical step. (i.e. got the database upgraded to include the Servers table, etc) but I am still seeing errors indicating i have a socket problem. From reading through posts I believe this is a configuration issue between the PATH_ZMS variable in Options which I have set to /cgi-bin/nph-zms and the ScriptAlias variable in the apache config. I find this setting in a file called zoneminder.conf located in /etc/apache2/conf-enabled and it has a value of ScriptAlias /zm/cgi-bin "/usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin"

I suspect this may be where the issue is but am not sure what to change here.

scdickey@ubuntu-nms:/etc/apache2/conf-enabled$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu-nms 3.16.0-60-generic #80~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 20 13:38:16 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Any insight is MOST appreciated.

thanks...scd
asker

Re: Inadvertant upgrade from 1.28 to 1.29 now socket_sendto issue

Post by asker »

1. start up web console of ZM
2. Go to Options->Paths
3. Change PATH_ZMS to /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms

restart ZM to be safe (not really needed)
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
scdickey

Post by scdickey »

I found that in the docs and tried that. It did not work. I did the following to fix:

apt-get remove zoneminder
apt-get install zoneminder

then followed the steps outlined in the doc "...the easy way..."

and it worked. I am sure there was a more elegant way but I seemingly tried everything. Thanks for the response!
patmansf

Post by patmansf »

I'm hitting this same issue on a Fedora 23 system, I haven't tried the re-install option yet.

Edit: I'm now at zoneminder-1.29.0-3.fc23.x86_64 via the /etc/yum.repos.d/zmrepo-fedora.repo that points to http://zmrepo.mehvc.com/f/$releasever/$basearch

I did shutdown zoneminder, and delete old sockets in /var/lib/zoneminder/sock, but that did not change anything.

I thought I'd hit this and fixed it multiple times before :-(

If anyone has any hints, please post!

From my log files:

getCmdResponse stream error: socket_sendto( /var/lib/zoneminder/sock/zms-363821s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory - checkStreamForErrors()

socket_sendto( /var/lib/zoneminder/sock/zms-363821s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory

Thanks ...

-- Patrick
andrey66

Post by andrey66 »

patmansf

Post by patmansf »

Thanks, but I was not looking for a full install or re-install :-(

I changed PATH_ZMS from /cgi-bin/zm/nph-zms to /cgi-bin-zm/nph-zms, and it's now working.

I guess that /etc/httpd/conf.d/zoneminder.conf was modified to use cgi-bin-zm, but the upgrade didn't change PATH_ZMS.

This in /etc/httpd/conf.d/zoneminder.conf:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin-zm "/usr/libexec/zoneminder/cgi-bin"

-- Patrick
scdickey

Post by scdickey »

the other thing that I have discovered that seems to cause this socket error is if you have another browser window open on a session that is no longer valid. closing that browser window stops the messages from appearing in the logs...at least I have seen this a couple times in my environment.