Cannot write to content dirs('events','images'). Check that these exist and are owned by the web account user

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
apbb2

Cannot write to content dirs('events','images'). Check that these exist and are owned by the web account user

Post by apbb2 »

Hi All,

I screwed up something but cannot figure out what.

Let me start by saying my upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 was not smooth as /boot was full. So only a partial install was completed. Once I got 14.04 up & running Zoneminder was uninstalled. I installed with the PPA, upgraded the DB & now I get the error in the Subject.

I know there is a permission issue but have no idea where the issue is. Have gone over the upgrade instructions over & over with the same results.

service zone minder status gives this error:

Can't open config file '/etc/zm/zm.conf': Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 119.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 119.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl line 48.

sudo service zone minder status gives:

ZoneMinder is running

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
rockedge

Re: Cannot write to content dirs('events','images'). Check that these exist and are owned by the web account user

Post by rockedge »

Not a big problem. There are some things that the latest install/upgraded is not doing like the permissions on '/etc/zm/zm.conf.
As of Oct 3 2015, zm.conf is not readable by ZM. This is likely a bug and will go away in the next package
http://zoneminder.readthedocs.org/en/st ... buntu-14-x

Code: Select all

sudo chown www-data:www-data /etc/zm/zm.conf
then make sure that the directories or symlinks "events" "images" and "temp" exist in /usr/share/zoneminder/www and are owned by www-data or the user assigned to the web server.

Also the install paths of the most recent packages are slightly changed I believe.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
apbb2

Re: Cannot write to content dirs('events','images'). Check that these exist and are owned by the web account user

Post by apbb2 »

rockedge, thanks for responding but found the issue.

events & images folder had root as the owner, needed to be www-data.

here is the link that helped me.

http://lachlanmiskin.com/blog/2012/06/2 ... on-denied/
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

good work!