moving install to new pc

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
cTurtle98

moving install to new pc

Post by cTurtle98 »

hi so ive been running my zoneminder on an old intel core 2 duo machine and im finally building a dedicated home server.

I have zoneminder on my current server setup with a western digital purple drive as the storage drive for the events

how do I backup zoneminder's configs and databases to move to my new machine and how do I install using those configs on the new machine?

yeah I basically just need to move zoneminder to the new machine without loosing any old events (that are already on an external drive) and move everything else for zoneminder to work in the same way and see the old migrated events
bbunge

Re: moving install to new pc

Post by bbunge »

You did not say which Linux Distro. Ubuntu should be easy.

Take a dump of the ZM database in your current server.
Set up the same version of Zoneminder on the new machine. Stop Zoneminder. Drop the ZM database then import the one from the old server. I've used Webmin to do this and it works.
Connect and mount the WD purple drive however you want to. There are instructions in the WIKI that uses systemd on Ubuntu 16x or Debian 9.

Keep in mind that if you do not do the database and mounting the drive with events on it right you can loose the events. Might be easier to just use the exported database and let Zoneminder purge the database of events.

Sorry this is not detailed as there are usually a dozen ways to do this. What works for me may not work for you. What I do is to keep a dump or backup of the database to use on another machine in case of failure.
cTurtle98

Post by cTurtle98 »

bbunge wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:24 am You did not say which Linux Distro. Ubuntu should be easy.
im using debian 8 on my old machine and debian 9 on the new machine
Take a dump of the ZM database in your current server.
would this be easier if I installed phpmyadmin on both machines?
I have no clue how to do this
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Use Webmin. It has more tools you will use. Phpmyadmin only does database.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

phpmyadmin is really easy to use for the dump then import I use it on Debian 9 but Webmin looks great for this also.